Thread: Newbie Questions

Default Newbie Questions

Ok, Im new to the forum but not so new to diesels. Im 23 and went to college to be a diesel tech. I do some tractor pulling and have previously been a dodge(cummins) owner until I aquired an 04 lb7 duramax recently. I have installed a K&N cold air intake, 4'' exhaust to 6''stack, bully dog power pup(with crazy larry), 6'' RCD lift, 35'' tires. I use the truck on the farm but not much heavy pulling so mostly just VERY aggressive street driving. Wanting to try some sled pulling and drag racing.

I have a couple questions:
    1. My tranny goes into limp home mode only when on highest setting(crazy Larry) and only then if im cruising highway speeds and stomp it.
    truck has 130k. I believe I am capable of rebuilding tranny with performance parts. I would like to know: what "KITS" work best for my
    driving style?

2. I would like advice on some good injectors for the truck would like the biggest gains possible without getting twin cp3s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because my mind is still in the gutter with 12v Cummins mechanical performance
    Thanks, Doc.

Arrow Welcome to the board!

Transgo sells a variety of performance parts for the Allison. A set of performance clutch packs and a billet torque converter would be a good start.

Injectors... usdieselparts.com and kennedydiesel.com sell performance injectors for the Duramax.

Try to define how much power you're looking for, then a better guess can be made as to what parts you might need. For example, a stock turbo and stock injectors can be taken to more than 600 RWHP (w/nitrous), with the right programming (usually EFI-Live).

Jim

Default Numbers

I would say im looking for at least 500(rwhp) reliably if thats possible because this is my daily driver. Im not againts the N20 but would rather have the power there all the time. I am not completely satisfied with my programmer but canot afford EFILIVE at this time. I dont feel that the triple dog is giving enough fuel. Maybe i will be more satisfied when the tranny is done and am able to use the power.

A SC stage III and a torque converter will cure you tranny problems and is pretty easy to install. You stock injectors will support 500 like said above but good tuning EFIlive or a Hot PPE programmer will be needed. You had also better plan on a lift pump (95gph is plenty). Got gauges??? Don't expect your headgaskets to last long at 500rwhp if you drive hard often, pull or race. A KD boost valve would be a good investment as well.

Do the ppe actually make the advertised HP? I have an opportunity to buy an edge HOT juice and wondered if this would be a step in the right direction? after the tranny is done that is.

Wink

Of all the plug-in products I've tried, PPE's top level box (in 2005) provided the fastest times at the track and dyno, but EFI-Live did another 100-hp better.

Most plug-in boxes/modules are produced for the mass market and stock Allison transmissions. That said, I like the Edge Juice w/Attitude combos and VanAaken's modules for everyday street/towing use. The Diablo Predator handheld programmer is recommended for its diagnostic ability, as well as calibrating speedos.

If you want to be competitive at the track, build a bulletproof Allison, then learn EFI-Live or work with a vendor/programmer to flash to a custom ECM. Aftermarket turbochargers and injectors can be added later, depending on how serious you become...

Jim

The Hot Juice is a good box to stack on, but by itself, there are several boxes that make much more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryandoc View Post
    I would say im looking for at least 500(rwhp) reliably if thats possible because this is my daily driver. Im not againts the N20 but would rather have the power there all the time. I am not completely satisfied with my programmer but canot afford EFILIVE at this time. I dont feel that the triple dog is giving enough fuel. Maybe i will be more satisfied when the tranny is done and am able to use the power.
    In my opinion, if you're not using nitrous, you can't get to 500 without without an aftermarket turbocharger. The stock turbo can get you to about a smokey 450. The PPE competition programmer I used once would deliver a little more than 500 rear wheel w/nitrous - 400 without. There was zero smoke with the nitrous on. This program used a lot of timing advance, which I'm not particularly fond of (hard on head gaskets).

Most competition Duramax's are running EFI-Live programs, which gives a lot more control over fueling when compared to modules or typical hand-held programmers.

Jim

you can,,, they(chargers) just don't last long. 42psi=POP!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Efilive

ok you have convinced me to try the Efilive software. Where do i get it and do i need to buy a laptop?

Kennedy Diesel does it, RidgeRunner, Danville performance, I'm pretty sure the Fleece's do, and SoCall Diesel. There's a bunch out there but don't just let anybody start punching keys. You can do more harm then good w/ this software if you don't know what's up. Look up EFILive's website.

Default My recipe for 500RWHP

1) Good exhaust. Any 4" will do

2) Good lift pump setup. My twin pump everything kit is what I would suggest.

3) 30-32 psi peak boost. A Banks Big Head should get you there, or simpler yet add my Boost Valve.

4) My Kennedy Custom 250HP/100HP switchable tuning.

Now you'll also need a trans to hold it. A Suncoast level IV kit (you install) or level V trans (already built you install) to get the power to the ground.

What's it all cost? A bit over $8k depending on the caliber of the products used. What gets expensive is doing things over because you went down the wrong path.

This will make you wonder what you ever saw in that crazy tune...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Kennedy,
    Do you sell all of the software for EFI-live? or just the tunes? SC stage IV is in the works will be placing order after Christmas. Just curious about how much the kit will hold(HP)? Tax return will buy the EFI-live and fuel pump.
    Doc

The SCIV or V will hold both hold more then your stock bottom end.