Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camaro 6.5L TD project

Here is the car at ride height. Suspension, drivetrain completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Late Model Specialties
    94 Camaro-6.5-4L80E-Holset vgt-WMI-DB2-3.42-stock longblock-8,500mi+
    96 Silverado C2500 ECSB-vin "S"-6.5-4L80E-3.42-FTB-relocated PMD-travel cruiser-203,000 mi+

Arrow

WMI (Water Mist Injection), or methanol injection (same thing, essentially), is only a system to inject a water and/or methanol mist into the intake. Water expands into steam and carries away heat, while Methanol does the same thing (although less efficient at heat exchange). Methanol is also a fuel, so you will need more O2 to burn it. Similar to propane injection, you will still need enough air to burn all the fuel. Only throwing in more fuel can be counterproductive, and very destructive (boom!). WMI has been around for decades, and was used in WWII combat planes for extra power.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rafedial1 View Post
    Here is the car at ride height. Suspension, drivetrain completed.
    Wow, that is sick. I love it. Dang, why can't I have enough money? Even though I would probably go through the pain of building my own because that's something I like to do. But wow, that looks so good.
    The rims look slightly Corvette?
    Looking absolutely awesome. Mind if I upload some pics to my Facebook account? That is one sick car.

D-Max: Basically all you would need is an injector of sorts that you could activate right? Like if you got a TBI injector and rigged that in your intake and had a way to control the amount that was sprayed?
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

[QUOTE=6.5 Detroit Diesel;250253]Wow, that is sick. I love it. Dang, why can't I have enough money? Even though I would probably go through the pain of building my own because that's something I like to do. [B]But wow, that looks so good.
    The rims look slightly Corvette? Yes, C5 but rare metal.
    Looking absolutely awesome. Mind if I upload some pics to my Facebook account? That is one sick car. QUOTE]

Thanks Detroit,

I am always for sharing info.

Let me explain my situation.

I would love to continue with a career in doing just this. Building these cars one by one, maybe two at a time. I'm young, just 22. I have a great girl and my mind set on being financially stable soon. If these cars sell, it would be my only income. I need to dedicate 100% of my time to a project like this.

The build process is well detailed here at tdp. It would be great to see a bunch of these cars on the road.

BUT! Where does sharing, become not so proprietary?

What I am also trying to say is go for it, design your very own diesel swap.
    Late Model Specialties
    96 Silverado C2500 ECSB-vin "S"-6.5-4L80E-3.42-FTB-relocated PMD-travel cruiser-203,000 mi+

Thanks Detroit,

I am always for sharing info.

Let me explain my situation.

I would love to continue with a career in doing just this. Building these cars one by one, maybe two at a time. I'm young, just 22. I have a great girl and my mind set on being financially stable soon. If these cars sell, it would be my only income. I need to dedicate 100% of my time to a project like this.

The build process is well detailed here at tdp. It would be great to see a bunch of these cars on the road.

BUT! Where does sharing, become not so proprietary?

What I am also trying to say is go for it, design your very own diesel swap.[/QUOTE]

No worries man. Nice to get some other young blood on here. (No offense to anyone here). I am 22 myself, and no girl. So maybe a little more free time than you with not as many perks. :-D

Like I said before, we have a 3rd gen that we are building for track, but maybe thinking of going spark plug delete. In which case, I will be looking here for advice. Again, I think that your project is awesome. Just wish I had time and money to do likewise.

"If these cars sell, it would be my only income. I need to dedicate 100% of my time to a project like this."

Go for it man. You gotta do what you love if you get the chance. Looking forward to seeing a test run
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    Wow, that is sick. I love it. Dang, why can't I have enough money? Even though I would probably go through the pain of building my own because that's something I like to do. But wow, that looks so good.
    The rims look slightly Corvette?
    Looking absolutely awesome. Mind if I upload some pics to my Facebook account? That is one sick car.

D-Max: Basically all you would need is an injector of sorts that you could activate right? Like if you got a TBI injector and rigged that in your intake and had a way to control the amount that was sprayed?
    Not that complicated. A TBI injector would be a poor choice. They aren't designed for the duty cycle. All that is necessary, is a source of H2O/Methanol pressure (pump, and reservoir), a valve, of sorts (usually a solenoid valve), the injector (nothing more than an orifice, similar to NOS systems, or drip irrigation misters, more simply), and a method to deploy it at the right time and volume. Boost pressure is a good regulator for injection timing, and volume (more boost, more water/methanol). Or, you could just buy one of the electronic versions. Once installed, WMI is essentially free cooling and power (plus the cost of alcohol, if you use it).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Not that complicated. A TBI injector would be a poor choice. They aren't designed for the duty cycle. All that is necessary, is a source of H2O/Methanol pressure (pump, and reservoir), a valve, of sorts (usually a solenoid valve), the injector (nothing more than an orifice, similar to NOS systems, or drip irrigation misters, more simply), and a method to deploy it at the right time and volume. Boost pressure is a good regulator for injection timing, and volume (more boost, more water/methanol). Or, you could just buy one of the electronic versions. Once installed, WMI is essentially free cooling and power (plus the cost of alcohol, if you use it).
    Mav,

I will keep that in mind. WMI will definately be added to the next Camaro.
    Late Model Specialties

Default Pressure Testing

No new progress for today as of yet.

I thought I would share some pictures of the charge pipe being welded by me.

A friend of mine, a plumber apprentice was talking about it and mentioned how they have to pressure test for leaks in houses. So he mentioned that the same principles would apply for the car. Well, i agreed but didn't have a way of doing that.

I made a trip to the big box store and looked around.

This is what I rigged up, pics below like always. What you see is the first version, worked great. After thinking, I decided to later add a pressure gauge. Made the rig up for around $20. All it is is 2 in. PVC tube, rubber couplers, air quick disconnect, and hose clamps. Held almost 15 psi at one point. All my welds were solid, didn't even go back over them.

Cody
    Late Model Specialties

Default Interior

here are some interior shots. Completed gauge cluster, switch panel, relays, all wiring completed. Took the car for a nice test drive today. No leaks, good ECT, great power!!!, good EGT, good PSI (??psi), very little turbo lag, shifts great, good trans temp, steers ok (needs align), no driveshaft vibs, good pinion angle, no so good on traction, brakes WELL with LS1 brakes, good weight trasnfer. I ****ing love it.

Cody
    Late Model Specialties

Wow, great to hear! I really like the DD sticker. That alone will get you some looks. So I am guessing that the tires are trying to resurface the road in correlation with the depression of the skinny pedal? :-)

Picture one, is it just me, or are you having a little Oil Pressure trouble at 60 mph? LOL

Can't wait to see a video!

it's been awhile since I posted. been workin hard to make some money. The Camaro has also been gettin the bugs worked out of her.

some have asked for some on road vids....

had some time today, and my father was home. I let him film and drive the car too. car was running great today.

Turn it up!!!

http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV01332.flv
    Late Model Specialties

Thumbs up

nice video, maby you can film it also with a open hood and film it when you drive the car with the cameraman in the car.
    Chevy Nova sedan 1977
    6.5 HD diesel/ 4L80e
    Gear drive timing set
    Ram air, E.P.S. stainless steel exhaust
    2.73 axle ratio/ 205-65-R15 tires
    new projeckt: Dodge W200 with Detroit 6V-92

Default Update

Car is running great still!

I have yet to break her!!!

Idle/Walkaround Vid.....

http://s648.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=MOV01216.flv
    Late Model Specialties

Default Love it!!!

This is such a cool conversion! I just love the turbo whistle as it spools up...I can barely hear it on my little TDI Beetle from the inside. Wish my 6.2 had one. I'd love to see this car in person!!!
    Greg

07 Cadillac DTS NHP, 86 Chevy C10 6.2L Silverado SWB Apple Red--sold, 2001 White VW New Beetle GLS TDi 50mpg! 1995 VW GTI VR6--sold and greatly missed!
    "Try not!...Do!...or Do Not!...There is No Try!"--YODA

man this is such a sweet build!!!!! ever throught about doing one with a duramax? man that would be sweet! oh props to your shop setup, man i wish i had such a nice place to build my projects

updated pics of the car.....she is finally complete. she is gettin' a Delta 206 Camshaft installed soon, with before/after dyno results...stay tuned
    -Cody

Late Model Specialties

Props X10. Man, that is a sweet looking setup. Very nice. I love it, very nice stance, nice wide open intake, that is one sweet looking ride.

This is the coolest thing I've seen in quite a while! I remember an episode of pimp my ride where they installed a diesel into a '60s model Nova (I think). I always wondered if it would be possible in a newer model sports car...I guess it is!!

The Firebird dash was a nice touch too, perfect for the guages.

Default mines done

hey remember me me and my friend came from missoure to trade you some heads for a radiator for my 6.2 project. its done and i didn't even use the radiater, your truck had the heavy duty cooling system so i just bought a new one and it was still worth the trip to see your car mines a 93 1/2 ton 2wd regular cab longbed nv4500 5 speed i put a 93 6.2 in it with a 95, 6.5 turbo setup and a gear drive and zoom clutch 3 inch down pipe and 5 inch stack mid 20 mpg range id guess runs great and turnes heads check it out on you tube just type in 6.2 turbo diesel find the red half ton click my channel and watch all of them.if anyone has questions i did some custom stuff to.

It's that time of year!

working hard with the car all winter and made a few changes.

new holset vgt turbo, synapse wastegate, relocated radiator/core support also added Stg2 Snow WmI(not pictured) with one 625 nozzle.

went from 2.73 ratio to 3.42

Late Model Specialties