Thread: Holset Turbo and LB7's

Default Holset Turbo and LB7's

Is there any advice or contacts available in regard to installing a Holset turbocharger on an LB7 Duramax? The truck is stock and will remain as such...with the exception of planned 5" exhaust and cold air intake system. Also new injectors if/when needed...but nothing much more radical than stock if any.

In terms of the model...I'm thinking HX40 ~ HX50 and whatever combination of exhaust housing size and wastegate control is needed. Which ever matches/exceeds the IHI performance.

I know ATS, BD etc etc makes some decent upgrade kits. I would like to try a Holset however. I've always been pleased with their performance on other trucks.
    2002 Chevrolet HD2500 4x4 LT
    Extended Cab - Shortbed
    Duramax LB7-Allison 1000
    Charcoal Metallic Ext/Int

I see your also in Indiana. You may be familiar w/ the guys (Fleece's) in North Salem (just west of Indy) who do the Cheetahs that run real well. Never used a Holset on a Duramax before though. I like Garretts.

I'm about 1 hour away from Fleece. I owe it to myself to drive up there if for no other reason than to just meet them. I talked to them about the Cheetah...but its expensive however I'm sure its worth it. I think the Cheetah uses the OEM exhaust housing pedestal and he takes it to another level from there using machined parts etc.

For me...its more of a change of turbos using a new mount and sticking with something off the shelf basically...like a Holset. Its kinda like a challenge for me. I'm not really interested in making huge power...so the investment for a performance turbo like Cheetah and ATS etc is not worth the expense. I'm just tinkering. For perhaps a little more airflow and some noise so to speak...maybe for that 7.3L PowerStroke turbo sound with straight exhaust.

I've always been around Cummins engines with Holsets and think they are a decent turbo. I've kinda narrowed it down to a HX40, HX50 or 55. I'm not sure about a wastegate...or what kind of boost pressures I'm needing or headed toward. I'm just having some fun and experimenting basically. Just to be different. The turbos can be found for very reasonable prices, new or used. I have two local big rig junkyards nearby that can help me get a turbo and Scheids is 1/2 mile away and they can rebuild it. Or there's always ebay.

Here is a pedestal kit. http://www.pacificp.com/store/index....fd3b6e524985ff

I think the pedestal mount from Pacific Performance Engineering PPE will work for me to get the ball rolling. From there its a matter of blocking coolant ports (unnecessary on the Holsets), downpipe, air intake and discharge piping. All do-able as I have an expert machine shop/welding shop very close who can help make the little things I'll need.
    Extended Cab - Shortbed
    Duramax LB7-Allison 1000

I see. Don't know why you want it too sound like a powerjoke though????

Well...not entirely like a Powerstroke. I just meant the V8 exhaust with "whistle" tone in it. The Common Rail Duramax will never sound totally like a Powerstroke no matter what you do to it. Injection events usually dictate what the engines sound like overall.
    Extended Cab - Shortbed
    Duramax LB7-Allison 1000

I have your truck's twin in the shop right now!!!!!!!

Wish it was in the shop for twins!!
    Extended Cab - Shortbed
    Duramax LB7-Allison 1000

Owner brought it in thinking the trans was on it's way out. wouldn't pull itself or rev past 2000rpm. Fuel filter looked like it someone puked in it! I think was original,,, 6years and 130K ago.