Thread: optimizer 6500

Question optimizer 6500

Does anyone have any knowledge on the new gm "optimizer" 6.5? I have oil coming from the oil filter 'area'. I want to call it a housing but its not really. Anyway, it leaks while running. It looks as though there should be a gasket of some kind but there isn't.
    '99 GMC Suburban
    2500 SLT 4x4 6.5L TD
    Kennedy Quick Heats

A picture might be good here.

The oil filter has its own rubber gasket... so if the leak is between filter and the engine block, change the filter.

If the leak is coming from another "area"... please describe.

Arrow

If it's leaking between the oil filter adapter and block, it likely only needs an O-ring replacement. It's possible the adapter is cracked, but you should be able to tell upon removal.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow description

the oil filter is on the horizontal and screws onto the usual stem. this stem is coming from a 'cup' which bolts to the block with a bolt that has an 1" 1/4 head on it. I took the 'cup' off, and it was metal on metal. It looked like it should have an o-ring or gasket and didn't. An oil filter adapter would be a very good possibility, but I can't seem to locate any pictures or schematics for this new baby. Which, I might add, has worked like a charm...Does this description help or do I need to get under her and try and snap a photo? If I do, can I upload it to you guys?
    '99 GMC Suburban
    2500 SLT 4x4 6.5L TD
    Kennedy Quick Heats

Arrow

That's the oil filter adapter. It should have an O-ring groove (and, of course, an O-ring) on the surface that mates with the block. If it doesn't, you'll have to use sealer. The tacky gasket maker (don't remember the name, but it isn't RTV) works best. Use it sparingly, and be sure to keep the sealer out of the oil passages (essentially, just glue it in place with a thin coat). Check the adapter real well for cracks.

Photos are no problem. All members here have account access to TDP Photo Album. Just upload your pics to your account, then link/embed them in the forums. There's a Photo Album tutorial in the Photo Forum, and you can always ask for help, if you need it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Contact a GM dealer... they will have a complete "seal" kit which includes all the "O-rings" required for the stock oil filter adapter kit.