Thread: Electric Lift pump Back to Factory mechanical lift pump

Default Electric Lift pump Back to Factory mechanical lift pump

I'm having some problems with my 1986 6.2 at WOT <stumbling... any how the electric lift pump is from a mid 1990 6.5 and seams to be in working condition. I didn't do the conversion so I need to know what I will need to do the and the steps to replace it. I have a new AC delco lift pump and seal. the arm on the lift pump is the short one.

Do I need the lift pump push rod and where can I find one?

Arrow

You will need the push rod. Check the mounting hole, it may still be there. If not, you'll probably have to get one at the dealer. You can check with the chain stores, but I doubt you'll have success. Get ONLY the 6.2L push rod. None of the other engine rods will be the right length. You might also try a WTB ad in the Classad Forum. Some of our members may have one.

Also, make sure the spacer is there, as well. If the original pump was removed and a cover installed, the spacer may be gone. The spacer will look like the cover, but have a hole in it for the pump arm, and must be removed to R/R the push rod (it retains the rod). The spacer mounts between the pump and block, and has its own bolts to hold it on.

When installing the rod, shoot a couple strokes of grease (with a grease gun) into the push rod guide hole. Push the rod up into the hole (bottom out on the cam) right before the pump arm insertion (push it in only enough to get the spacer on before the pump install step). This will keep the rod "UP", while you install the pump w/o fighting with the arm alignment (and a rod that keeps falling down, right before you get it in). It is possible to install the pump with the arm next to the rod, which is a bad thing (pump no worky).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

How thick is the spacer ?

Arrow

Flat steel, about 1/8" thick. If you buy a new pump, it should come with 2 gaskets (or they used to, anyway). On for the block to spacer, and one for the spacer to pump.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com