Thread: 4L80E Trans Shutter, ATF+4 Trans Fluid? What BRAND???

Default 4L80E Trans Shutter, ATF+4 Trans Fluid? What BRAND???

Hello, wow, I am confused on whether to use Dextron III or ATF+4

I am a die hard AMSOil fan and have it in everything, but NEVER used it in the trans because my brother put it in his vehicle about 8 years ago or so, and his trans slipped because too slippery, so he pulled it out and went back to standard fluid.

Now that was 8 years ago, but I have no evidence of whether that has changed...

So brand do I go with??

I have a Trans shutter, so local family garage and trans shop is flushing trans fluid, changing filter and replacing torgue converter selenoid valves and adding the shutter additive (around $300, seems way to high). He says go with ATF+4 (ATF5 or 6 if not made for my older 1997 trans)

NAPA has Valvoline ATF+4 for $6.30 per quart x 14 quarts $89
    CarQuest has Valvoline ATF+4 for $6.80 per quart
    then other parts house has Wolfhead ATF+4 for $3.25, hald the price??? what the heck??? He says Wolfhead controls Penzoil and some tie into Castrol and Wolfshead is from PA's Oil City from early 1900's and they sold Wolfhead since 1922 when family owner started the parts store...

So do I use Wolfhead or go with AMSOil, but where is proof & reviews on both products???

Thanks so much!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Specs
    * 1997 GMC Suburban 2500 5.6 TD 155k miles
    * 3rd injection pump around 100k miles
    * Installed Heath Diesel's Remote mount PMD & Turbo master Arm and their ECM/computer (woke this sleeping beauty up, WOW)
    * Stock exhaust with cat punched out
    * AFE airfilter
    * AMSoil 15w40 used year round
    * New block heater
    * Morosso Oil Pan stick on heater from Jegs last year (baby gets hot!!)
    * 265 all terrain tires, but thinking about Blizzak's if they are the best snow tire???
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal experience is Amsoil. I think that the slip the other guy had was not due to the Amsoil fluid but something else. I have used their ATF fluid in lots of autos and never experienced a slip. As for the shutter save your money for the real fix which for the 4L80E is the Transgo HD kit is. A little bit of a pain but doable for the mechanically inclined or you can have someone put it in. This kit does many corrections including a better shift, it also cured my shutter. Mine would shutter when the converter was locking up under a medium to heavy load, if I let off the go fast peddle it would not happen. I have put 20k or so, on my burban most pulling a 28' box both loaded and unloaded without a problem. Using Amsoil ATF.

Mike
    1995 Suburban K2500 6.5TD 3.73's Innercooled, Updated cooling, Banks 3" exhaust no gizzards in the kittie. Pyro/Boost/Trans temp. Transgo HD valvebody kit.
    2002 2500HD, CC, LB, 4X4,California Truck, Federal Emissions Front pipe, Plugged recirculator, modified air box(Per Kennedy's page) 6" RCD lift, 35" tires.

Default Results of Trans flush, selenoid & additive for shutter!!!!

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the education!!!!

**UPDATE**
    OK, the local family shop & trans guy, replaced 2 selenoids, did the manual full flush & filter and put in 2 tubes of the "Dr Tranny Shutter Eliminator"
    I had no clue on what is good Dextron III or ATF+4 fluid, se ee went with Wolfhead Dextron III, about 14 quarts to flush it. The trans guy was not sure if he should go with ATF+4 in a 1997 trans.

**RESULTS** This baby does not shutter now, perfect!!!!!
    It used to shutter after the 47 mph lockup, say 48 to 52 mph, then press on the throttle to make it downshift and that sucker would shutter, but NOT now!!!!! Can you Yahoo

I am sold with the Amsoil trans fluid.
    Jim
    96 GMC 2500 Ext cab Long bed, 8600#, 3.73, Amsoil air filter, amsoil oil, amsoil trans fluid, 3.5 Kennedy Exhaust, 97 airbox mods, EGT, Boost, & Trans Temp on pillar, Heath bumper mounted FSD. Pulling 28' Sprinter 5th

I had a trans converter shudder, exactly as you describe. The fluid was dark and had 25K miles on it.

I changed the cooler to a larger 29K model.

I added a 1 qt external trans fluid filter.

I installed a Transco Shift Kit and a new separator plate.

I also installed this new TCC Regulator Valve Kit.

Used Amsoil Trans fluid.

Now, it works perfectly 30K miles later.

Oh forgot to mention, when I bought this 97Sub, I had the local Pontiac dealer do a full trans flush with their machine at 123k miles - full flush around 12 to 14 quarts and trans filter change, that took care of some odd shifting....

Now at 155k miles and they just did the manual flush again with 14 quarts & 2 selenoids noted below.

Also as noted they used 2 tubes of "Dr Tranny Shutter Eliminator"

--> Anyone know anything about this Dr Tranny stuff???

Also, once I find some kind of report on AMSOil fluid, I will flush it with that.... Do you all have reports and reviews you can point me too?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by 97Suburban View Post
    Also, once I find some kind of report on AMSOil fluid, I will flush it with that.... Do you all have reports and reviews you can point me too?

Thanks again
    http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Thanks for the link.

Does anyone know of any published official reports that tested/reviewed AMSOil to Dextron III, ATF+4 and so on?

The snake oil just makes the torque converter slippage not noticeable. Low clamp force on the clutches is the root problem. It will start setting slip codes shortly. The real value in the additives is for shudder during the lockup event. Once its locked, if it shudders under load, its because its slipping. My.02.
    95 K2500 6 lug ecsb leather silverado, 2006 amg 18:1, kennedy exhaust, no cat, heath 2.0, heath boost control, ss diesel air filter, ata intercooler, high idle, bf goodrich 285/75/16 all terrains, remote pmd, three guage pillar pod