Thread: Cat Removal

Default Cat Removal

Have a 2005, I am told that removing the cat from the exhaust system will not cause the computer to receive any trouble codes.

Any comments?

Arrow

Perhaps..... However, EGR flow is monitored via MAF, and the exhaust flow restriction provided by the cat is factored into the MAF calculations.

So, will removing the cat cause a code? Maybe - maybe not.

Jim

Question

Are there any real benefits to removing it? Like a significant EGT drop while towing heavy and or more snap or power or increased milage ? I was wondering if any one has removed it on an 06 or 07 lbz without doing any other mods, and what difference they noticed if any. Also did it make it noisier or drone when pulling or cruising? Thanks

I removed mine when I added a 4in exhaust and have never had an issue.

36K miles and ready for EFILive now
    2006 GMC D/A C/C S/B, Snug Top Shell, Bed-slider
    33 inch Toyos, 17/8 Pro Comp Wheels, 4 in SS MBRP Exhaust-Turbo back, Evolution Tune, Mag-Hytec on Rear and Trans, Tranco Jr Shift Kit.

I removed the cat and installed a 4 inch Magnaflow and installed the BD drivers side manifold at the same time. I did not have the temp probe until I installed the BD manifold so I am not sure what the egt's were. My mileage was up 1.5 mpg on the first long trip to Houston. 1500 miles so far and no SES lights. The exhaust is a little louder but before you know it you forget about it. Turbo whistle is also a little bit louder. I have not noticed any drone as of yet. I used the cheapest magnaflow kit I could find on ebay because they are all stainless.
    2007 Silverado CC 4x4 SB, D/A LBZ, edge insight w/egt probe, Transfer flow fuel/tool box, BD exh. manifold, Magnaflow T-back 4", more to come.

Thanks, I'm thinking of taking our cat off but leaving the stock exauhst system.

That's what I want to do also. Been looking at an MBRP cat delete pipe or a Corsa cat delete pipe. Haven't done it yet but that's what I wanta do.
    From what I've been reading the MPG's go up, turbo whistle is louder, no drone. Some throw codes some don't. Most dont.
    2007 Chevy Classic LBZ, CC, SB. 4X4