Thread: WVO: Tank heater needed?

Default WVO: Tank heater needed?

Hi, I live in north Florida. Spring, summer, and fall highs are 90's and lows are 70's. Winter is usually 55-65 with lows in the 40's. A few nights we will dip into the 20's. I will be converting my 1999 6.5 C2500 Suburban to WVO this summer, and likely will mount the tank under the vehicle. Do I need a tank heater, or would I be allright with just a heater at the filter? Thanks for the help.
    1999 GMC Suburban C2500 6.5TD
    1998 Chevy Suburban C1500 5.7 (Sold)
    1995 Ford Taurus SHO 5 Spd 112K
    1982 Chevy Citation X11 78K

The SVO systems I've read about use a fuel switcher, to allow the vehicle to start and end on #2 diesel. The VO is used only after the engine has warmed up. Then, warm engine coolant is circulated through a VO warmer, before eventually switching to VO.

Jim

Default Wvo

Hi, I am in England and have had experience with WVO. It DOES thicjen when cold, and because the common rail injectors operate at such high pressure, this can cause damage. The HEAT EXCHANGER method is best, where warm cooland passes through the same block as WVO, and warms it.
    Dek

Ben,

I have a 98 with the greasecar kit in it that I have done some adding to. Are you planning on getting a kit or doing it yourself? My tank has a coolant heated coil in the tank, though some argue that this is not the best design. If you are trying to use a factory auxiliary or custom tank that does not have a coil in it you may want to check out plant drive, they sell a heated fuel pick up. If you are going with a kit, I would suggest plantdrive kits. They may not be the cheapest, but they have excellent components, and Craig is super helpful, the compuer controller is amazing, and their kits allow for a lot of customization. I would also look into the AirDog fuel pump for your auxiliary pump, I have issues with cavatation with a regular pump.
    Sold: 98 2500 ext cab long bed 4x4 auto 166k, Lubrication Specialties oil cooler, FSD cooler, Walking J "feed the Beast" mod, Heath HD lift pump, SSdiesel turbo back exhaust, Heath mechanical boost controller, Softtopper camper top, boost, egt, fuel pressure gauges

1970 El Camino SS, built 355, aluminum heads, Lunati cam, intake, 800 cfm edlebrock, Tremec 5 spd, QA1 Coil over all around, Wilwood discs up front, 3.73 Posi 12 bolt, Viper Red

2012 Audi A3 TDI- Love it! 45 mpg!