Thread: Oil change interval LLY

Default Oil change interval LLY

New to diesels, ex chev 3500 gas, own used 2007 GMC Topkick, still under warranty. Book on LLY says 15,000 miles between change....no way i could ever go that long, Hotshot service all over carry 7K max, no trailer. Have oil life though never comes on "walking a fine line". At $120.00+ a change don't want to be changing every 3K...but this is my living so will do whatever it takes to keep eating and paying bills.
    Thanks

I put a quick 110K on a 2004 C4500 recently. Used Mobil Delvac synthetic, and changed the oil at 10K-12K intervals. Usually the oil change indicator came on right about the time we were ready to change, or shortly after the change. My advice is select a good synthetic oil and follow the indicator...your loads are well within range, we towed boats which are both heavy and a huge wind drag...

If you can't sleep at night - go 6K-8K - but I'd still use a good synthetic over conventional.

More importantly, use a good synthetic rear gear lube, and keep that stuff changed frequently. I let the first pumpkin full of Royal Purple (read "Royally Expensive") go for about 80K and what came out was stinky and overdue. I would say 50K intervals are in order, out back.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

I use Amsoil and do 15k OCI on my 2005 LLY. If your interested in using Amsoil send me an email dirtbikindad@aol.com I can help you with the synthetics and extended change intervals.
    [CENTER]2005 Silverado 4X4 CC LB LLY [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Air Lift Bags, [COLOR=black]Amsoil F2B[/COLOR], KB IOH Kit, BD Manifold, Fumoto Valve, PCV Reroute, Resonator Plugged, Mag-Hytec Diff Cover & Trans Pan, PPE X STD, 4" SS Magnaflow Kitty Ran Off[/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.duramaxfilters.com"]www.duramaxfilters.com[/URL][/CENTER]