Thread: Air Filter/Chip

Default Air Filter/Chip

Gentlemen,

I'm looking for a simple upgrade on my '02 Diesel in regards to the air filter assembly. Eventually I plan on putting a chip in this truck and am also unsure of which to choose? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

You will not find big benefits to messing with the intake. I have some simple details outlined on my site under Tech Tips:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxairintake.html

The exhaust system will show measurable gains though as will tuning.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

what do you want out of your "chip"?

I'm looking for a little preformance when towing or even just playing around. I don't want to have to make a lot of major modifications to the truck other than maybe air filter, exhaust etc. I also don't need anything radical, just a nice upgrade to the power. Thanks for any advice.

Scott

Default ECM Advantage

Kennedy,

I just read your article about ECM programming and was wondering what the advantage would be to this vs. buying an aftermarket programmer that allows you to adjust/tune the amount of power you want? I'm new to a the diesel world but love it!

Thank for the info,

Scott

If your not wanting huge power gains,, just do a canned tune like an Edge Juice or Or Quadzilla Adrinaline. I've had great luck with both.

I've never heard of those, what are they?

Scott

What the Edge or Quad??? They're just diesel performance companies. The Juice and Adrinaline products made by them are just boxes that fool the engine into making more power.

The Edge Juice is one that I can speak to, a little. It has 5 power tunes available on demand. With the Attitude Monitor, you get the advantage of having a digital display, which gives you many options, the best of which take the place of EGT, and BOOST,etc.
    Now, if I had those two gauges on my A pillar, I'm fairly sure at this point that I'd opt for Kennedy's tune. Just an oppinion that I've formed after reading about both these options over the past several years. One reason is, that my first Edge was pretty flaky a lot of the time, while I had it. Edge replaced it free last summer, and I've only had one minor glitch with it since.
    If you can hold off for a while, during which time, Mark Rinker is doing a long haul comparison of 3 different tunes, you can reap the benefit of his experience. (See his thread in this same Forum).
    I'm quite happy with my Juice, at this time, but, let the thing give me a hard time a few times, and my attitude will change in a hurry. I have another tuner (Hypertek), which I always used to pull codes and clear them, whenever the Edge acted up. The Edge would leave me in a lower gear, and wouldn't up-shift. Cure was to stop and go throught the above routine of clearing codes, etc. No, I never did piggy-back them.
    Good luck.
    DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

edge box's..... been there done that , to many driveabilty issues with any add on box. ECM reflash is by far many times better and more reliable.
    93 c-2500 6.5td,96 6.5td x cab,01 GMC lb7 Xcab ,2004 lly crew cab ,2006 lbz crew cab,honda CBR1100xx,2003 polaris prox 700 , 2001 31' holiday rambler 10K lbs house on wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by First View Post
    Kennedy,

I just read your article about ECM programming and was wondering what the advantage would be to this vs. buying an aftermarket programmer that allows you to adjust/tune the amount of power you want? I'm new to a the diesel world but love it!

Thank for the info,

Scott

Sorry, I missed this. Many of the experienced veterans (Mark H and Mark Rinker come to mind immediately) here have had the generic stuff and graduated to my tuning. The key here is that harness boxes are prone to fail and can only alter certain parameters. Off the shelf tuners have VERY little work actually done to them. Myself, I own and run Dmax and Dmax only so I feel that I am more connected to what is going on inside. On teh LBZ side you can check out Moss06's comments as he has tried numerous off teh shelf mods on his truck before settling in with mine.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!