Thread: LB7 Injector policy/ DMAX in general

Smile LB7 Injector policy/ DMAX in general

We have had a few trucks in the shop recently with runability issues which are directly related to the injectors BUT the actual symptoms do not match the Special Policy 04039 guidelines. The first paragraph states:

Some customers of 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado; GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion (refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007G and SI).

So, I have had two trucks in the shop for smoke (not covered). From what I have seen, even though the engine smokes the injectors can still be within specifications. I think there was a post in the past week from REDBIRD? that had smoke and then the engine detonated and his dealer is doing nothing for him (last I read anyway). Maintenance records also helps when trying to fight for warranty coverage on the DMAX engine. GM tech assist even wanted to know if the customer was using an actual GM fuel filter P/N TP 1298B. So if you have a smoker and it doesn't look like it is covered by the guidelines in the special policy you still might be able to get coverage if you read the above paragraph carefully and use your imagination. But you didn't hear this (or read this) from me

On another note. We have also denied a warranty repair because of YOUR FRIEND Mr. BANKS!!! A customer had a turbo failure on his LLY C-4500. GM denied warranty for the repair because of the Banks system. And to go a little further, I took a GM Emerging Issue class this last week which was about the GM Warranty Parts Center. Anyway, the big thing I got out of that is that if a vehicle comes in for warranty service with non GM approved calibrations, the the warranty will be voided on the entire power train (engine, trans, transfer case, axles, drivelines).

Please be carefull and maybe even think twice about adding aftermarket power up devices on your DMAX trucks.

Happy Trucking!!!
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

10:1 that C4500 ate the turbo due to high EGTs. They are geared all wrong to be turning up the power. 2100rpm at 63mph top gear will stress all engine parts. Throw more fuel rate on that, and ...

Thanks for the heads up. I have been amazed at the rather 'open arms' policies towards power mods and drivetrain warranties. No suprise that times are tight, and the General is going to tighten up their policies accordingly... To me, its all about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Back in the day, if you grenaded your smallblock after you stuck a camshaft and 4bbl on it, you didn't go to GM looking for a freebie engine. Thats how I was brought up.

You gotta pay to play.

Injectors are another story. Until someone can show me how they are more likely to fail under wider pulse widths and higher flow rates, I better get them replaced cheerfully under warranty whether I have a tune/box/etc. on the truck - as long as they are behind a stock injection pump. You tweek the pump or run duals, then all bets are off.

The problem with the new policies will be interpretation. Like when your Service Advisor denies your injector warranty claim because of your K&N filter assembly...
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker View Post
    Injectors are another story. Until someone can show me how they are more likely to fail under wider pulse widths and higher flow rates, I better get them replaced cheerfully under warranty whether I have a tune/box/etc. on the truck - as long as they are behind a stock injection pump. You tweek the pump or run duals, then all bets are off.

The problem with the new policies will be interpretation. Like when your Service Advisor denies your injector warranty claim because of your K&N filter assembly...
    How bout increased rail pressure?? if it can crack rails it can surely contribute to injector body leakage.