Thread: Info for a Transmission Change

Default Info for a Transmission Change

I have a 1984 k10 Silverado 4x4 with a 700r4.
    After 400 thousand miles, 1 engine and 3 transmissions, I decided to fix the transmission problem. I bought a 700r4HD (handle up to 500 lbs torque)...

I am now swapping all the "stuff"...and I have several questions:

1. the Detent cable... does anyone have the part number for ordering a new one? The old one is falling apart (fraying) ... Checker/Kragen/Schucks Auto has 3 different part numbers.

2. How do I fill the transfer case? And with what do I fill it? And how much? And do I fill the "front" part or just the "rear" part?

3. The glow-plug timer thing stopped working...what is the part number? Where is the stupid thing located?

4. I need a good book for all these details and more...what is the book called? ISBN?

Thanks!

Arrow

1. The tranny inputs are the same for all. The chassis is the difference. You'll need to get the GM part # from the dealer and have them cross the number, or have the store order all 3 and match up the one that's the same (return the other 2, which is what I'd do). The dealership gets your firstborn for one.

2. The transfer case uses ATF (Dexron III). There should be drain and fill plugs on the rear cover of the case. Fill the fluid level up to the top plug hole. Not sure what you mean by the "front" or "rear" part. Between the tranny and TC is an adapter, and it should remain dry.

3. Install a 1985+ glow plug controller (for any model 6.2L), to replace what you have now. Cheaper than replacing the OEM for 84, and more reliable. A wiring diagram is HERE.

4. www.helminc.com or www.alldatadiy.com . Order/subscribe according to your truck info. Stay away from Chilton's and Haynes (rubbish).

Your welcome.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Done

It took about a week with a few hours a day to do things...but I got the transmission in, and all is working...

Some things I was surprised at:
    1. the transfer case takes over a gallon of transmission fluid
    2. the transmission (new, no oil with new torque converter) takes 13 quarts of transmission fluid (or there about...I think I lost count somewhere)
    3. the "heavy duty" torque converter has 3 bolts, the standard factory torque converter has 6

Now I will just have to answer a couple questions and I am zooming...
    1. what is the break-in time for a new transmission
    2. any special care instructions for a new 700r4 (stage 2 racing transmission)

So, what will go out next?