Thread: Duramax and B20 blend biodiesel?

Default Duramax and B20 blend biodiesel?

Here in Minnesota, we are burning 2% biodiesel blend, as part of a mandatory initiative. There are retailers that offer higher blends - including B20 at the pump in some locations. http://www.mnsoybean.org/biodiesel/retailers.cfm

Anyone here have ' long-term' experience with B20 (or higher) in the Duramax, say 50K miles or more? I am interested to hear your feedback...especially regarding fuel filters and cold starts in climates like Minnesota.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Default B-20

I have been buying B-20 since 2001 when the first station in Missouri opened about one mile from my house. Dont fill there often as price is usually 10 cents a gallon higher, but top off tanks there and fill up when price is same.
    My D-max is an early 2001 mfg in Nov. of 2000. Now at 100,000 miles with same injectors and have had only fuel filter problem and that occurred when traveling on trip away from home in 4 degree weather .
    I'm happy!

A 20% blend may remove some of the deposits leftover from burning diesel, and plug the fuel filter. I started to burn bio last year, and went through 3 filters before they stopped plugging. I began with a 33% blend, and my truck had 25 years of deposits to clean up. Probably won't be so bad with a newer rig. FWIW, my motor seems to be happiest with a 20% blend, at least thats where the best economy is. I've run up to 75% bio, and the mpg's drop by about 1 mpg.

Also, bio gels at about 27*, unless there is an additive in the mixture to reduce that temp. I don't burn bio in the colder months, so I am unfamiliar with the bio-compatable additives, but have heard that there are some out there now.

PS-my home town is Albert Lea, and my folks still live there. You guys have had one long, cold winter!
    '83 K20 Suburban
    N/A 6.2, 700r4 non-lockup, Racor secondary filter
    Overload airbags

No real long term experience. They opened a B20 co-op type place right across from where I work so I tried it for 3 tanks. Over those 3 tanks, I saw ~1mpg drop in mileage and I was paying the same or a little more than the normal place I filled up. As far as performance, I didn't notice much change. THere was a slight change in exhaust if I remember.
    \'05 Chevy 2500 HD LS CC/LB 4x4 D/A, Century Cap, Line-X Spray on bedliner, SS Nerf Bars, Lund Bug Deflector, 235/85R16E LTX M/S II, Kennedy Custom ECM Tune, Uni-filter, EGT/Pyro & Boost Guages

Default Problem with B20's and biodiesel today . . .

I'm of the opinion there would be no problems (burning soybean based bio). I'm not sure the biodiesels today, in Mn are all bean oil though - there could be used fryer oil (vegtable oil) used to blend up. Bean oil is more expensive then recycled veggy so the refiners and distrubuters are using what ever is less expensive for them. If you call to try and find out - the person on the other end doesn't seem to really know. Used veggy oil is supposed to meet the API and ASI standards, but who's checking it. The biodiesel industry is getting a bad rap due to veggy oils used to make biodiesel. (again, veggy oil isn't meeting the standards). I would not want to use veggy oils blends due to questional blending/standards. Veggy oils on the eastern side of the US are really hurting the biodiesel industry due to not meeting basic standards needed to blend with diesel. Not that it could hurt the fuel system, but more to maintinanc of filters and problems on the road . . . . Then new 5% blending regs go into effect pretty soon. I'm sure it doesn't specify new bean oil only - but hope it makes the veggy oil producers or distributers/refiners meet the standards of new bean oil . . . .