Thread: New guy from Oregon

Smile New guy from Oregon

Well, not that new, I guess...Hi everyone!

I have been a member of this site since December of 08, but haven't had much time to browse and check things out. Now I am in the process of setting up my 94 K2500 6.5 Suburban for a big June trip that will involve a fair amount of off road travel in Montana. So I am looking around at winch options at the moment.

I found a guy selling a Warn 12lb winch on a Warn "classic" bumper with some other do-dads on it (PIIAs, etc.) from a 1990 Chevy truck. Maybe its an easy question, but I am under the impression that the GMT 400 platform started for trucks a few years before they used it for the Suburban, starting in 92. So in other words a bumper that fits on a 1990 truck should fit a 94 suburban, right?

There is the issue of the air intake holes, but apparently this style warn bumper had some sort of optional air scoop for turbo diesel applications. I am looking into this scoop option. If I can't find one, how big a deal is having a bumper without air intake holes?

I appreciate any tips or ideas from the collective wisdom of the group on this bumper/winch issue.

Oh, and that's not me leaning against my rig from last summer's trip in Montana. It is my son, who looks like I did at 17 (but at that time I was driving a 79 GMC shortbed 4x4). I never show up in pictures these days; always behind the camera.

Thanks,

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

A big TDP welcome

Nice Burb.

Ever get over Newberg way, look me up. I own the gun shop in downtown by the theater.

best

Missy Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Welcome from just north of the border. And do a search on air intakes on here. You will find a lot of valuable info.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Welcome!

To help answer your question, the platform for your 'burb did come out in 1988. However, GM continued to make the old body style (73-87) trucks in the cab and chassis, Blazer, and Suburban lines up through 1991.

So, if the bumper came off a 1990 1/2 or 3/4 ton, you know you're safe. If it came off a 1 ton, you'll need to find out which body style it was.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

The crew cab dually's were built on the old style until 92.

91 was the accepted termination point but a few were built in 92.

They had many nice upgrades that were to be released on the GM400 lines

Best

RC
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Thanks for the comments. So last evening (in fantastic weather, btw), I did go check out the bumper/winch combo a guy was selling on Craigslist. In fact, Robyn, I may have passed your shop on the way there--I drove through Newberg on the way to Dayton to meet the guy selling the bumper. I will definitely stop by another time. On a side note, I'm actually in the market for a couple of inexpensive used bolt action .22 rifles to use with a group of scouts for passing off some rifle merit badges in a few weeks now that things are drying out a bit.

Anyway, the guy selling the bumper was a really nice guy. Just struggling in this brutal economy, as he is in the construction business, which we all know has taken a nose dive of late. Both the bumper and winch were in great shape for being 7 years old. The 12K lb warn winch was used a handful of times, he said, and looked brand new. No rust anywhere; he kept it covered. The bumper was rust free as well--quite an accomplishment for an Oregon vehicle.

We tested it out and it seemed to work alright. New remote, never used before (he lost the original). So it seemed like a good deal, and and since we determined the bumper would in fact fit, I went ahead and bought it -- an early birthday present from my wife. (My birthday is in August). I think the key was taking her with me (and all the kids) to meet the nice family selling it, see how it works, let her play with it a bit, etc.

Now I'm looking forward to installing it, which seems like it should be pretty straight forward -- three bolts on the frame on each side. I'll let you know how it goes.

- Mark

any chance you could reply to this to make sure i got the hang of this computer stuff? (need help)