Thread: Gov Lok Issues

Default Gov Lok Issues

Anyone else run into issues with the Gov Lok breaking on the 11.5" Axle. My problem is the end gear in the carrier (behind the side gear) which drives the weights (governor) broke into several pieces. Mines got ~190k so I guess for a Gov Bomb it did well. Luckily I was able to order just the gear (GM Calls it a cam) and the two shafts with the weights on them (The Governor Kit) for ~250.

I do have a question on how to remove the two shafts for the governor. Im planning on pressing them out today so I can get the side gears out and finish tearing down the carrier before my parts arrive tomorrow. I just want to make sure thats the correct method for removing them, I tried a pin punch and a hammer to no avail though, so Im hoping a press is the trick.

Thanks
    Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    04 GMC 2500HD ECLB 4x4 LLY

I believe the Gov Loc breaks the way you described when one of the rear tires is spun hard, which aggressively winds up the Gov Loc clutch and causes it to break.

This opinion is based on an examination of a 9-1/2" 14-bolt GM Gov Loc that I knew the history for (something about throwing rooster tails while pulling a drill rig truck out of muddy field).

Jim