Thread: Mystery fuel leak

Question Mystery fuel leak

The Story

I bought a 98 GMC 6.5 from a dealer with a fresh dealer installed IP. 1 hr into the 5 hr ride home when I pulled over I noticed a substantial leak under the truck.(3 drips per second) Thought it was oil because of the color but upon investigation it was fuel. Called the dealer I bought it from and they told me to take it to a GM dealer when I got home - should be warranty or back charged to us. The local dealer said it must have been fuel in the valley from the IP change. We washed it out and it's gone... that will be $92.54 - .7 hr labour. So much for we will take care of it.

The problem

That was Monday - now it's Saturday and the leak is back as strong as before. I cannot find the leak. The fuel lines out of the lift pump as far up the engine I can see are dry. I unbolted the fuel filter housing it's dry - all lines attached are dry. Took off air intake from turbo to intake manifold and looked down in the valley as much as I can see with a light and mirror. It looks a little damp but no liquid or puddles of any kind. The fuel looks like it is leaking out the bottom flywheel cover on the bell housing. Any ideas before I take it back?
    93 2500 - best truck I ever owned
    Sold

98 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 4X4 EC SB Dark Blue
    3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD
    Was S then F code now SSD ECM (used - it was cheap - not my first choice)

I had a return line crack and do the same thing that your truck is doing. except it was leaking on the turbo a bit. lots of smoke.

i thought it was oil at first and pulled the turbo and valve cover and put it all back together twice before finding the five minute fix. might be worth checking.

you gotta race me in a few days.

I have new 33"s back on, so no complaining
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

There are 2 (IIRC) short rubber lines at the very back of the engine above the bell housing. If the hard lines leading up to them are not secured properly they rub on a seam on the firewall and leak. Easy enough to fix yourself...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

My truck has the same problem. Thanks for the advice!
    1996 Chevrolet Suburban 6.5T Fully Stock 198,000.

Default Mystery solved (I hope)

Was able to look up the valley with a mirror and light and could see fuel leaking out one of the injector lines attached to the pump when the truck was running. About the 4 o'clock position. Took it back to the dealer for warranty. Asked about the $92.54 charge and was told that was for reading the codes. Pretty pricey I think. Will any OBD 2 reader work on this truck or do I need a special one for diesels?
    Sold

3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD

Any OBDII reader will read the codes, yes. I got real tired of being charged the fee from the "stealer", and bought one on eBay, just a reader/eraser.
    1997 Chevy K2500 E/C Auto - K & N Filter, 3" exhaust, no cat. Midas Flowmaster muffler, Kennedy ECM, Peninsular Diesel Marine upper intake manifold, 3-gauge 'B' Pillar gauge pod, Autometer Phantom gauges, Boost, EGT, and Tranny temp. Homemade air/air intercooler setup, with puller fan. Phazer Gear timing, Fluidampr harmonic balancer, 250,000 kms.
    2009 25' Springdale 5th wheel trailer
    1978 Z28 4sp Camaro (in middle of restoring it)
    1963 Dodge 2 dr. Hdtp., Model 440 (will be a Max Wedge clone)
    1979 GL1000 (Honda Goldwing)

i would recomend the GMDT Scan tech, i also has the possibility to read a lot of other values from the engine, tranny......
    New sub. 1996 6.5 ls 1500.
    1994 Suburban K2500HD. 6,5 TD 251 000km. sold
    3,5 inch exhaust, no cat.
    Marine injectors. Removed snorkle
    opened intake plenum. 3 gauge pillar. EGT.Turbo.Tranny temp. Fsd Cooler, resistor nr 9.
    Top mounted Air to Air intercooler. Kennedy Turbo master

intercooler is installed.
    look in: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=37313

Picked the truck up the other day and I found out that the rig runs much smoother with the fuel going through the injectors rather than dumping into the valley and on to the ground. Who'd of thought? BTW they never charged me a dime. Must be my lucky day... going to get me a lottery ticket.

Where would I find this GMTD Scan Tech?
    Sold

3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD

Yours is a 93 2500.The ''GMTD Scan Tech'', wil only work on a 94 or 95 OBD1. That is what I use on my 94.
    94 Chev Blazer, 6.5TD, 3.42, 4WD,Gear drive,,Remote FSD behind drivers headlight,,Mobil 1 in difs and trans,Rotella 30W, Over a quarter of a million miles !! Member -1.94 club.

Smile Oops

Sorry about that Warren96 - Guess I need to update my sig. First post in this thread should clarify the situation.
    Sold

3"turbo down to 4" back.
    Remote PMD