DmaxMaverick pulled by today and brought the original downpipe for his '01. He's since gone with a Kennedy exhaust so had this bit which would be a big blessing for mine if it would bolt up to my exhaust. Well, it did--and it is--and my Duramax now has no catalytic converter!

I was on the ground already replacing the shocks. Greg brought some tools that made that a lot easier, too! But this downpipe was pretty exciting I gotta tell you. My '04 is a crew cab, his '01 is an extended cab and laying the pipe under the truck it looked like a direct bolt-on replacement for the catalytic convertor. Turns out it was! Simply unclamp the '04 from the turbo, unbolt from the flange on the downstream side, and remove the bracket for the hanger. The cat downpipe is a little tricky to snake out of there but the '01 w/o cat slips right in its place. We're talking perfect fit!

Not only is the catalytic converter gone, so are a lot of crazy twists and turns GMC put in there to accomodate it. Now the exhaust comes straight down from the turbo and makes an easy sweep back towards the straight-through muffler. It's not a 4", not Kennedy, or Banks, or MBRP, but it is a drastic improvement over what came on the truck.

Thank you, Greg!