Thread: Glow plugs then and now

Default Glow plugs then and now

Trotted off to the parts store to get a box of 11G glow plugs and was promptly informed that they are no longer available.

Book says superceded by the 60G

OK well I guess that's what the beast is gonna get.

Anyone having 11G's available please comment.

Possibly the 60G is now the plug of choice overall.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Yes 60G are the good ones

Yes, 60G's are the preffered plug in the AC Delco line. I think Bosch Duraterms or duratips are also ok.
    I think Heath quit selling Wellman's due to short life expectancy. But they could have changed quality by now.

Here is something I posted a good while back. I think they start up as good as my OE ones and have been fine through the winter (not real cold here but a few starts in the high teens F).

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...&highlight=60G
    97 5spd K2500 Ext Cab short Bed ~160K miles.
    TM, 3" downpipe & 4" exhaust, remote FSD, remote oilfilter, Gauges: EGT, Boost, Fuel Pressure, B&W Gooseneck Turnover ball, Prodigy Brake Controller. Hi-Temp Hydraulic Oil Cooler Lines.

The last time I bought plugs, the 11G was the prefered plug and the 60G was new then.

Now the suppliers are telling me that the 11G is no longer available.

With the long term durability of the 60G that is being displayed, its a no brainer to decide to use these.

Several other manufactures offer plugs but they also have more warnings on the box about their use and not to exceed manufactures glow times ect.

Autolite
    Champion
    Bosch
    and a host of names I am not familiar with at all.

As much of a PITA it is to squirrel out a set of plugs on the RH side of a 6.5 TD I will stay with the 60G's from Delco

The last time I needed plugs was when I rebuilt the Burb back on 06 about this same time of year.
    I scrounged through a couple sets of used heads and came up with 8 11G plugs that worked fine, cleaned them and stuffed them in.

Been sweet ever since.

60G's it is. So be it.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY