Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lil Red - Duramax 6600/Allison 1000 Conversion & OBS/NBS Dash Conversion

Thumbs up The "Look"... Update 2/5/2024

I watched a couple of pickup truck related events on Youtube recently. The first photo here was screenshot from the 2023 Hot Rod Powertour video while the tour was in eastern Tennessee and the other was from a video about a Chevy C10 group event that was sponsored by LMC Trucks. I saw a couple of trucks while watching the videos that made me hit the rewind button....

Though Lil Red is now 35 years old (but 20 years in its present form), it seems some of the design elements may have appealed to a couple of other truck builders. I think its cool.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 02-05-2024 at 12:46.

Oh, those wheels!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Post Update - 2/28/2024 - Purple Power!

The power increases eventually reached the limits of the factory Allison. In working with Kennedy and ATS, we came to the conclusion that the "ATS Extreme" Allison would be a step in the right direction. It has been. While the original factory Allison could be made to slip with 500-hp and a power-brake launch at the strip, the ATS has yet to slip, even with more than 600 hp. The torque converter contains a 5-disk pack that provides for a solid connection once locked.

A note about this image... Originally, I used smoke-tinted covers for both the headlight lenses and turn signal lenses. I would then remove the smoke tinted headlight covers if/when the truck was driven in the evening or at night (very rarely). The covers were employed only during during the daylight hours. Because removing/replacing the covers was a royal PITA, I have since replaced the tinted covers with DOT tinted headlight lenses and tinted turn signal lenses. I did give up a small amount of illumination in exchange for a better match for my patience.

A local friend who also just happens to own a mechanics garage (and is a transmission expert), worked with me to install the new ATS Allison. The lift makes this sort of thing so easy, when compared to a transmission floor jack and jack stands...

Shift quality while using performance programming was pretty "performance oriented", sometimes producing a little "bark" from the rear tires at gear changes while on local highways. Who can resist using a little pedal? But, when toning down the ECM programming to near stock levels, the ATS Allison gets real close to factory Allison shift quality.

I've not had any code setting with this transmission - or any other problem. There's only about 12K miles on it since installation, and the ATF fluid remains nice. The transmission has seen only a couple of dozen 1/4-mile runs and a similar number of dyno runs so far, plus highway driving. But, I do plan to service the transmission this coming spring - new spin-on filter and pan filter, plus a fluid drain/refill. I'll report back once that's been completed... if we find anything unusual. Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 03-25-2024 at 18:23.

Are you running Kennedy's tune on your truck? Or a custom version of his?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Are you running Kennedy's tune on your truck? Or a custom version of his?
    Currently, the truck has a Kennedy switch-selectable tune - a stock power setting with fuel economy, and a +100 hp setting. Time flies, but this programming was added not all that long ago. Jim

How street-able is the 100 hp setting?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

How street-able is the 100 hp setting?
    Haven't used it enough to form an opinion. It definitely brings a bit more "sport" to the table than the stock setting. It would be interesting to compare the two current power settings on the dyno. I do know that the race programming from before was a bit too sporty for the street - that is, once past the "watch this" phase.

I was curious about the 100hp been thinking it might be on my bucket list
    I'm sure John removes the speed cap too. My son had a 6.0 built and we were on the way to Winimucka from Carlin NV he dropped back about 5 truck lengths and nailed it. When he got up to me I nailed mine. matched his speed, then started pulling away. Up till I hit 94 and the computer started de-fueling my foot
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

I was curious about the 100hp been thinking it might be on my bucket list
    I'm sure John removes the speed cap too. My son had a 6.0 built and we were on the way to Winimucka from Carlin NV he dropped back about 5 truck lengths and nailed it. When he got up to me I nailed mine. matched his speed, then started pulling away. Up till I hit 94 and the computer started de-fueling my foot
    I haven't pushed things too far with the latest programming. I seem to remember talking with John about the engine rpm and vehicle speed limit settings. I asked for 4000-rpm as the programmed max engine speed, and we talked about removing any sort of programmed vehicle speed limiter. So, with an engine rpm limit currently at 4k, and with 2000-rpm currently producing 80-mph, the theoretical vehicle speed limit is.... a little scary. I've not tested the theoretical. I heard once that "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots. But, there are no old-bold pilots."
    Last edited by More Power; 03-15-2024 at 11:30.

Talking Update 3-21-2024 - Diesel Performance!

This video was produced some years ago, before diesel performance programming could produce power without smoke and while tires were a bit less expensive than they are now. Mind you, something similar to what's shown here can be seen today on nearly any performance automotive cable program or related Youtube channel. So... Lil Red hasn't produced smoke in years and tires are currently viewed as a more longer term investment...

Except for imagining vvrrrooommm sounds, there is no audio. However, no pedestrians or cute bunnies were harmed in the making of this film.

The following image was shot a few months after the above video was taken, only this time I was using a KennedyDiesel.com ECM program that produced 500-rwhp. As you can see, there is no smoke. I was likely using a Van-Aaken performance module when the smokey burnout video was made. I liked that in-line module when used at lower power (no smoke) settings, and I used it for years in my 2001 GMC Duramax crew cab where it could smoothly produce more than 400 rwhp without smoke.

Back in the early days of the Duramax I answered a few emails from young guys who wanted ideas for how to get their truck to produce more smoke... I tried to discourage the idea...
    Last edited by More Power; 03-25-2024 at 18:33.