Thread: Lil Red - Duramax 6600/Allison 1000 Conversion & OBS/NBS Dash Conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDavy View Post
    Jim,
    I'm impressed with these MPG figures Jim. What kind of MPGs does your daughter's Tahoe get?
    d
    Dave,
    The great fuel economy is due to a few things... First, the truck weighs some 2500-lbs less than my 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison. Lil-Red's gained a little since it was first put together, but it's still less than about 5,200-lbs or so. Second, it's fairly aerodynamic for a pickup truck, rides lower than a 2500/3500, it has a front air dam, tonneau cover, 3.42 gearing and 32" tall tires (~2000-rpm at 80-mph). Third, it's an LB7 without any sort of emissions control (not necessary for this engine in this truck). My 2001 GMC D/A didn't come from GM with any factory emissions control hardware (EGR) or exhaust system cat/DPF either - the good old days...

Hard to tell for sure what the fuel economy is for Sarah's 6.5. We haven't driven it far enough, in a fuel economy setting to know. But, the one tank I did check it was 16-17 if I remember correctly, which was mostly local driving. For comparison, Lil Red gets about 19-mpg during local driving, so I suspect the 6.5 Blazer would get about 20 on the Interstate. The Blazer has 3.73 gearing and the 4L80-E has a .75 OD ratio. With the 265-75R16 tires it has, this'll produce ~2380-rpm at 80-mph, just to compare it to Lil Red. My experience with the 6.5 seems to show that 65-mph is a better fuel economy speed - or about 2000-rpm.
    Last edited by More Power; 04-06-2023 at 09:18.