Thread: get my ip and injectors rebuilt or ???

Default get my ip and injectors rebuilt or ???

My plan has been to pull my ip and injectors off of my '89 j code 6.2l and have them rebuilt locally for my new turbo 6.2l.

I want to be able to pump some fuel in this thing. Would this be a good route to go?

Can they rebuild my j-code pump to pump more fuel?

Are properly rebuilt injectors good?

I am trying to keep my costs in control.

I am unsure of the particular injectors you have or if your head will accept 6.5 injectors, later model ones did I think. But if your going to run a "Built" engine with turbo the early db2 mechanical 6.5 pump and matching injectors might be a good idea.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto

YESSSSSSSSSS rebuild your stuff.

Now that said, if the shop that will be doing the work knows what they are doing you will do fine.

Have them turn the fuel up on your IP so it will handle the needs of the turbo'd engine.

OR use your injectors and scare up a fresh 4911 IP from an early 6.5 TD

The 4911 has larger plungers and in stock trim will be perfect for your turbo 6.2.

Just be careful as to what you buy and who you buy it from.

Good luck

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

So the local shop, Redding Fuel Injection, has a good rep. I spoke to them and they said they would sell me a rebuilt db2-4911 for $450, taking my J-code 6.2l pump as core. This seems like a good deal to me, but never having done this I want to ask if it is?

They will also rebuild my injectors for a little over $200. I forgot to ask as we were talking pumps, but what type of injectors should I be looking at? Are there some that flow more or is it all about higher pop pressures? Can my injectors be rebuilt to any specs?

Arrow

Good price on the IP and injector rebuild. They can rebuild your injectors to 6.5L specs (higher pop pressure), if you like. "Volume" is determined by the pump, not the injectors. Injectors only determine the pressure the injection event occurs. Higher pressure means greater fuel atomization, which is a good thing, but also means less room for error, and an injection event more sensitive to timing and fuel metering (makes timing chain condition more critical). With a 4911 pump, I would have them do it, and deal with the rest of the engine as necessary to get it right. Advantages include quicker, cleaner starts; less smoke; potential for more power; and possibly a little boost in fuel economy (depending on how you drive). Definitely recommended if you are running a turbo. One downside to the mod is more engine noise (sharper rattle), but not much.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com