Thread: Veggi Oil ( Wvo)

Default Veggi Oil ( Wvo)

Has Anyone Converted A 2006 6.6 Duromax To A Two Tank System Sucessfuley And Drove It 50,000 Miles ?bmorganrealtor@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by TRAILRIDER View Post
    Has Anyone Converted A 2006 6.6 Duromax To A Two Tank System Sucessfuley And Drove It 50,000 Miles ?bmorganrealtor@aol.com
    HUH?
    1998 Chevy k-2500 454 147,000 miles and climbing!

1993 Pontiac G/A Big Block 3.3 Liter 140,000 miles and still going too!

It would have to be a pretty big tank!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    It would have to be a pretty big tank!
    Now that's funny!

Actually, As long as diesel fuel remains affordable, I wouldn't run WVO in any current high-pressure common-rail diesel because of the risks involved. Here's what happened to a few week old 6.5 mechanical fuel injection pump after running poor quality WVO.

This pump cost about $500 to replace, and the injectors about $300 (for just the parts). Imagine what it would cost for a Duramax...

Jim

Is that the same pic you posted before?

Reason I ask is because if that is rust which is what it looks like, then poor fuel is the problem not really WVO.
    93 GMC Sierra 2500
    6.5L TD 5 spd Manual trans Sold

97 Chevy Silverado CrewCab K3500 Dually
    6.5L TD Auto

Quote Originally Posted by TRAILRIDER View Post
    I converted my 2006 at 10K miles now have 70K flawless miles on WVO. Runs great. The key is filtration of your VO I filter mine to the same ISO code as Dino out of the pump. If you can't do that I would not do it. It will be the downfall of a d max dirty fuel. Good luck
    2006 LBZ Duramax CC/SB,Line-X,Advance Fold a Cover, 2WD, 4" Aero Turbine Exhaust, Isspro Gauges A Pillar,Westin Nerd Bars.Blocker Plate. Burkhard PCV Re-Route
    Greasecar Kit with Automated CoPilot, 200 gal WVO tank. Inline Particle Counter for ISO rated WVO Cleanliness.Time to go fishing, Now I pass everything including the fuel station. .

1. Where do you source your WVO?
    2. Can you walk us through the filtration processes you use?
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by 93GMCSierra View Post
    Is that the same pic you posted before?

Reason I ask is because if that is rust which is what it looks like, then poor fuel is the problem not really WVO.
    Yes, it's the same pic. It's a good one, that shows how bad it can get with WVO.

I'm sure there are those who are succesful with WVO, but from a recommendation standpoint, you've got to also present info discussing the downside (poor quality WVO, inadequate filtration, presense of water, corrosive qualities, etc.).

Injector replacement alone costs $4000-5000. Add in the high pressure pump ~$1000, the cost of cleaning the fuel tank and the remaining components in the fuel system, and the risk becomes far too great to run WVO unless the Duramax owner has a lot of experience with WVO and is willing to assume responsibility for any other potential problem.

Perhaps what we need is someone with long-term positive experience with WVO to present a primer on how to do it right...

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker View Post
    1. Where do you source your WVO?

From high end restaraunts 100% Veg Oil (No Hydrogenated VO) Fish house and sushi or asian locatons. They seem to have the best VO to start with. Been picking up from same locations for 5yrs
    2. Can you walk us through the filtration processes you use?
    This is the key to success and its also where most people skimp on best practices. The entire filtration industry is like alternative energy industries NO Standards. Any mfg can make any claims for marketing and no rules against it. I use a multi pass or kidney loop system with an inline partical counter to monitor batch cleaniness. I have tested over the last 2 yrs many flters with many claims and its just been within the last 6 months where the ISO codes success I have been looking for. Its been close for a long time but not thier. Because I am develping this for a filtration company I cannot give specific parts as of yet but can give brief overview and let people know when a complete system will be available for sale. Unless you invest in a high end centerfuge which I have tested off the shelf they will not perform to the correct ISO code.
    I batch in 55 gal drums with bag liners so I can change out every six months. Use an submersible drum heater heat for 24hrs then settle in drum for min 2 wks. Mult pass through 3 bag filters until it hits target ISO code 14/13/11 The specific configuration of filters is still being tweaked to get max filter life and performance for a low cost per gallon system. I would be glad to answer any specific questions I can other than what I mentioned above.
    2006 LBZ Duramax CC/SB,Line-X,Advance Fold a Cover, 2WD, 4" Aero Turbine Exhaust, Isspro Gauges A Pillar,Westin Nerd Bars.Blocker Plate. Burkhard PCV Re-Route
    Greasecar Kit with Automated CoPilot, 200 gal WVO tank. Inline Particle Counter for ISO rated WVO Cleanliness.Time to go fishing, Now I pass everything including the fuel station. .

Basshopper,
    Your report is probably the closest I've seen to somebody trying to take all the right precautions to protect such an expensive fuel system. 2 questions for you:

1) Do you do anything special in winter?
    2) Can I ask how much time & money you think goes into a gallon of filtered WVO, using the setup you use? And what kind of investment did you have to put in to get it all set up? If you don't mind me being nosy, it would sure help anybody trying to figure out if they could come out ahead by trying this.
    2002 LB7 2500 CC LB 4x4 80k
    6 spd, 3.73, 265's

Quote Originally Posted by npauli View Post
    Basshopper,
    Your report is probably the closest I've seen to somebody trying to take all the right precautions to protect such an expensive fuel system. 2 questions for you:

1) Do you do anything special in winter?

The only thing I do is put on a GM grill cover so that it heats up faster for switch over to VO

2) Can I ask how much time & money you think goes into a gallon of filtered WVO, using the setup you use?

I spend about 1 to 2 hrs wk picking up about 100gallons in cubies. Maybee 2 or 3 hrs month filtering and filling 55 gal barrels for settling. I have a 275 gallon tank with final filtered VO for burning so depending on useage determines time.

And what kind of investment did you have to put in to get it all set up?

D Max system $2000 inclulding teh 200 gallon heated VO tank and about $3000 on filtration system Particle counter was $1500
    You spread that investment over the life of a D max and based on my personal usage when Dino was $4 a gallon was 12K and paid for. We will be back thier before you know it.

If you don't mind me being nosy, it would sure help anybody trying to figure out if they could come out ahead by trying this.
    On a side note. I talked to my dealer before I did this and they assured me that they would not give me any grief about warranty as long as the claim did not happen because of contaiminated fuel. I thought that was only fair. I have had some of the same issues EGR, VVT sensor ete ete as anyone else. Other than that no issues related to the WVO system. ONe maintaince Item I do every 10 to 15K miles is use Wynns deisel purge to do an injection service. Its amazing you can see and feel the difference with that stuff. My chevy dealer uses that and I did it and was hooked so made a tool to do it myself. I would recommed even if you don't burn VO. Check out my photos for the systems