Thread: Exploding Batteries

Default Exploding Batteries

A warning, for what it's worth, concerning the factory sealed batteries on the GM Duramax's.
    I was at a drag boat event a few weeks ago and recieved a phone call from my wife informing me that the truck blew up in the bank parking lot. She said that there was a huge explosion when she attempted to start the truck and lots of smoke came out from under the hood; she also said that the bank security guard came running out, pistol in hand thinking there was an attempt to blow up the bank!
    She went on that she opened the hood after an appropiate amount of time of quiet and no smoke and found that the battery blew up. I told her that I would be there as soon as possible but in the mean time if possible the acid needed to be washed down. That didn't fly so I knew I would have to hussle to limit the amount of damage being done by the acid. I made it in a little over an hour and found that there were no hose bibs on the bank so we went to the house an filled several coolers with water, stocked cleaning supplies and sped back to the bank. The entire top of the battery was blown off and came to rest over the turbo and the sides were partially blown out as well, quite an explosion. The amount of acid on things was not as bad as what I had expected. I cleaned as much as possible, removed what was left of the battery and cleaned some more. I think I was actually lucky as damage seem to be limited to paint discoloration under the hood and some pitting of the fuel filter housing and the AC lines; I guess time will tell if the damage grows any more.
    The cause; there is no way of knowing for sure but my theory is this: You cannot tell what the acid level is in these sealed batteries so after so much time the acid level gets down to a point where plates and cross-over are exposed to a acid gas (explosive gas!). I think this is more common on the passenger side battery because of the high heat location of the battery placement, this is the one that blew up. The low acid level in this case is probably why there was less acid on things than what you would first think. The low acid level also increased the volumn of explosive gas and the reason that the explosion was so large. Now what set off the explosion; I think that the acid level got below the cell links and deteriorated one to the point that there was a near gap, so when she cranked the truck the high draw arched at the weak connection and boom the rest is history.

So how do you avoid this happening to you. A good question, In our case the truck showed no signs, what so ever, of weak batteries; always cranked over and started instantly. Interesting fact in our case is that before our last trip to Colorado a month ago I told the wife that the batteries were getting old enough that we ought to go ahead and replace them before they did go bad and that doing that before the trip would be a good idea. Intentions of course don't get things done.
    Any suggestions other than gels or regular service batteries?

Randy
    2011 Chevy 2500HD LML
    Red with Dark Cashmer Light Cashmer
    Superglide 5th wheel hitch
    Bed Rug
    Jack Rabbit Full Metal Jacket bed cover
    Aries 4" oval step rails

LBZ now lives in Wisc.

Wow...sorry to hear of the catastrophe. Hopefully, this isn't the beginning of a trend line...

I have observed, and mentioned here more than once that the passenger side battery on all Duramax's, regardless of year, take a beating from heat. Can only imagine that your southern location adds to the ambient heat, and accelerates the problem.

You should report this incident to your local GM dealer and have them send the information to AC/Delco...

Glad nobody was hurt.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Good idea, I'll do that. When you think about it, there really isn't a good reason why one should blow up like that; unless there is some defect or faulty design.

Randy
    2011 Chevy 2500HD LML
    Bed Rug
    Aries 4" oval step rails

LBZ now lives in Wisc.

...don't forget to post pictures of the carnage. We all love (other peoples) carnage.
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali

Sorry, no pictures; I was more interested in getting new batteries in and getting the truck back home for some additional washing with a better water supply.
    2011 Chevy 2500HD LML
    Bed Rug
    Aries 4" oval step rails

LBZ now lives in Wisc.

I typically douse everything with baking soda to neutralize the acid, then wash things down.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by moss6 View Post
    Good idea, I'll do that. When you think about it, there really isn't a good reason why one should blow up like that; unless there is some defect or faulty design.

Randy
    Many years back, I had one of the 2x 6V starting batteries on a tractor blow up like that. Hit the starter button to crank it up - & BANG!

Don't really have a good idea why, as that set of batteries had been installed & working fine for ~3 years. You'd think the right mixture of hydrogen, air, & a spark; but what unique set of circumstances set up those conditions?

Either way, it made for a few days of ringing ears.
    1995 K2500, 8600 GVWR, 6.5TD, NV4500, 3.73:1, 18:1, balanced, Fluidampr, DSG timing gears, '97 cooling upgrades, 2100 psi-pop injectors, 4" exhaust, ceramic coated exh manifolds/turbine housing/SS crossover pipe, Autometer: pyrometer, boost, oil temp, oil press, fuel press, & water temp gauges, remote oil filter, B&M plate-style oil cooler w/ braided SS oil lines

I have seen batteries blow about 4 times. Very loud and sometimes very messy. Yes ear ringing may last awhile. Delco is not the problem, batteries in general are the problem. Be very careful connecting any battery leads to battery terminals, including jumper cables.

I usually air out closed battery compartments before doing ANY work, and blow air across any battery in the open before connecting any lead to a terminal, and hold my head to side and face turned away from the battery. Should wear eye protection!

These precautions still will not protect you from an internal spark and hydrogen gas, BANG!!
    Bob O.
    2004 K2500 DA LLY CC LT LB Wow! Edge w/A + BS + CAT pre fuel filter, 06 air box,
    2002 C6500 EC. 7.2 Cat NoMar rollback/ 92 C7500, 7.2 Cat, 25ton No-Mar / 2005 C5500 D/A rollback / 1969 Corvette 350-350 4spd AC T-top stock orginal
    XP850LE WOW nice ATV, 09-550XP hers, 03-Predator, 04 Honda400EX, 05-Banshee, 08-KTM525, 08 KFX700, 38' enclosed GN hitch

I blew up a motorcycle battery, unhooking it from a charger (on the wrong amperage setting) that had caused the electrolyte to boil. Went to unhook it, it made a spark, and it was too close to the battery vent.

BANG! Acid everywhere. Blew the clear plastic case apart.

(My kids today would pay $60 for the jeans that resulted, after they were washed!) Luckily, no injury just a good scare.