Thread: correct fan clutch

Default correct fan clutch

I have a 6.2L with a serp set-up and the HO water pump. The pump is the flange type. I am looking for a new fan clutch and fan. I am unsure if I will run the 20" 9 blade steel fan or the 21" 9 blade composite fan.

Looking at rockauto, they list 3 fan clutches for 1998 6.5L's (1 is way too much $$$$).

ACDELCO Part # 154674 - $85.79

or

HAYDEN Part # 2839 - $141.79

Which one is correct? There is a large price difference. Is the ACDelco one a good clutch?

Kennedy fan clutch

Yeah, Kennedy's clutch looks nice, but it is also $250 for just the clutch. I cannot justify dropping that type of coin on it.

I am looking to see if the ACDelco one is the correct part. If it is I will go with that and a either of the fans for around $135 total.

If the ACDelco part is incorrect, I will have to decide if I will get the Hayden on and a fan for around $200 or the SSDiesel calibrated (claimed) clutch with composite fan for $200.

rogers is offline Where there's smoke.... There's fire!

From John Kennedy's site-

"It has come to my attention that there are other suppliers representing OE fan clutches as 180° or similar reduced spec claims. Just because someone says it calibrated differently does not mean that it is. Certain "Severe Duty" units offered are merely OE production units. The OE clutch, as well as mine are built by Borg Warner, and are physically identical. The difference is in the calibration. This is not a modification, rather a variance in the calibration when built. The Kennedy Diesel fan clutch is a unique part number, that is built in special batch runs. There is a lot of expense involved with a special part number, and I am required to pay in advance for parts that I will not see for 6-8 weeks, and purchase minimum quantities. This is a serious investment that I will continue to make so long as demand continues, but BEWARE imposters!" - JK

Make sure you trust your vendor!! You've got to wonder how SSdiesel can sell a "calibrated clutch" for $100 less than a known, tried and true vendor. Are they just selling the Hayden clutch? I don't know the answers, but if you want 100% assurance that you are getting a "calibrated" clutch buy from Kennedy. His products have been tested and reported on by a lot of members here. Not telling you what to do... just sayin' is all.
    1996 GMC K3500 Crew Cab Dually 8ft bed
    Rebuilt engine 2/10 18:1 pistons, forged crank, Fluidamper, dsg gear drive timing, high flow oil pump, rebuilt GM8, turbomaster, Kennedy ECM, 4" exhaust, wrapped cross-over and down pipe, '98+ cooling, Duramax fan, aftermarket oil cooler and hoses
    Rebuilt tranny 2/10

rogers, i want to thank you for responding to my other thread. I am asking the question because someone told me the ACDelco part was not correct.

I really do not feel I need the special calibrated clutch. I could be wrong in this. SSDiesel's price for clutch and fan is the same price as the stock hayden clutch and fan.

I guess my true question for now is if the ACDelco clutch is the correct part?

rogers is offline Where there's smoke.... There's fire!

Here are some pictures of what I have ready to go on my truck and what I have taken off. Notice there are some differences. The old clutch and fan were bolted together with six bolts way out at the edge of the clutch. The new clutch and duramax fan are bolted together with four bolts nearer the center of the clutch. These parts will not interchange(i.e. the old fan will not bolt to the new clutch, the new fan will not...), you must have both pieces to make it work. I think this is where the "wrong part" business is coming from. Other than that, you can see in the pictures that they have the same water pump mounting, same rotation, the works. Also this is the fan listed as oe replacement for '98 and above 6.5's. There shouldn't be a problem. Also as I said in the other post, I am too cheap to pay $150 for a clutch so, I am 99.9% sure I bought the $86 clutch. I hope the pics help! Btw sorry about the quality I only have my phone camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1996 GMC K3500 Crew Cab Dually 8ft bed
    Rebuilt engine 2/10 18:1 pistons, forged crank, Fluidamper, dsg gear drive timing, high flow oil pump, rebuilt GM8, turbomaster, Kennedy ECM, 4" exhaust, wrapped cross-over and down pipe, '98+ cooling, Duramax fan, aftermarket oil cooler and hoses
    Rebuilt tranny 2/10