Thread: Old style Banks kit used with a serp drive

Default Old style Banks kit used with a serp drive

As many of you know I am swapping a 6.2 into a 91 1/2 ton burb 4x4 that came with a 350 Gasser.

The gasser Burbs had a serp drive with the AC pump on the RH side and the alternator on the LH side just as the GM400 rigs had in 92-95

The Early style trucks that had the diesel were never switched to the serp drive.

My goal was to use the later 6.5 Serp drive setup.

Ok this is easy but now we add the Banks sidewinder to the mix

Things get a little bit more crowded down front.

Looking at the pictures you will see that the serp drive and all the goodies fit right on.

Two issues presented right off. The little oil return tube bracket that bolts to the front of the Block in front of the fuel pump uses a boss on the block that the serp drive bracket for the RH side bolts to.

The oil tube bracket is needed so it must stay. The issue is that the 1/8th thick steel arm from the bracket causes the cast AC pump bracket to mount crooked.
    The fix is to remove the 1/8th inch interference from the AC bracket boss so it will sit down properly over the top of the arm on the return tube.

See arrow on the pix.

The other issue is the Vaccum pump assembly will hit the Banks RH exhaust manifold.

I am using a non vaccum pump idler assembly which as can be seen fits perfectly and does not interfere with things.

(I am not using the shorter belt without the idler because I can now keep one belt that will fit this rig plus the 94 Burb and the 95 DaHooooley)

The use of the later 6.5 water crossover allows plenty of clearance up top for the alternator bracket etc.

The finished setup will need the 6.5 water pump to accomodate the reversed rotation.

I may do some other mods and install the dual T stat water crossover but for the time being the plan is to stay with the stock 6.5 crossover from the early engines.

I was very concerned that the Banks Turbo was going to cause issues with using the serp drive.

This all falls into place as the 350 Gasser has all the wiring in the proper places to hook up to the alternator (Plugs are the same too) and also the AC Pump will work too.

The AC lines will have to be rehashed to fit around the Banks Turbo and then mate with the connections on the condenser and the accumulator fittings.

After the beast is in the rig I will design new lines to fit nicely and allow access to things without having to unhook the AC pump.

The local AC and Radiator shop can build these to look just like factory.

There is a ton of different fittings available so its no biggy.

The Oil cooler will be an easy connection with an aftermarket cooler. The original cooler thats in the radiator I have (87 Diesel) has the lines that cross over to the RH side of the radiator and to the cooler.

Very much tacky way to hook it up so I will just plumb things in with Hydraulic hose and JIC fittings.

The throttle cable from the 87 diesel will swap right over as will the TV cable for the 700R4.

Pretty much a mix and match project.

It may be possible to fab up a bracket to allow the use of a belt driven vacuum pump, but the plan for now is to use the rear mounted vacuum pump as was common on the early trucks.

Just some info that might be useful to others.

RC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Great little topic.

I'm a spammer. Please pay no attention to me. I'm only here to steal your bandwidth, and your identity if I can.
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 10-02-2009 at 10:56.

The Banks kit fits great with the serp setup, with just the mod to the vacuum pump.

RC
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY