Thread: bleeding break caliper

Default bleeding break caliper

I replaced my rear passenger brake caliper. Do I need to bleed all four calipers? Or do I just need to bleed the one I replaced? Thank you for the help
    1991 Chevrolet Silverado 3500, 6.2L. 125,000 miles -Sold

2007 Chevrolet Silverado LBZ - R.I.P

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LB7-- Sold

2011 GMC Sierra, LML- 39,000 miles. All stock

Wouldn't hurt to just crack the others open and see if there is any air. But when I bleed I start at the farthest bleeder and work my way to the left front. You should be OK though.
    If you have a friend with a tech II, they can bleed them with it.

I just rebled mine for good measure, replaced all calipers last year (2009). Brake fluid, well at least brake fluid in the old days, had an affinity for water and would suck it in and be partially the reason for corroded wheel cylinder bores.

I use the 2 person technique. 1 person to bleed and 1 to pump and hold.

An old hotrodder's trick that I used from when I had a Vette and other fast cars was to use a rubber mallet (not a real hard rubber mallet, 1 medium hard) and pound on the calipers prior to opening the bleeder. Rapping on the caliper will break any little bubbles loose and cause them to float to the top and then out the bleeder when you crack it open.

dc

Thumbs up

Good point, it doesn't hurt to bleed the calipers every couple of years jsut to purge the fluid. It is amazing what comes out for the first second or two not air but dirty lookinf fluid.