Thread: Made In China Baldwin Filters

Default Made In China Baldwin Filters

Ever since Dr Lee did the oil filter comparo years ago I have used Baldwin Filters and order my the case or half case on the web. Lately however their fuel filters and now the spin on Allison filters are Made In China. Wondering if I should be trusting my ride to that questionable quality? Maybe time for Dr Lee to run some more tests?

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Talking

We have a baldwin dealer here in St. George and I like you have used that brand of filter. When it was time to change the spin on for the trans I planned on using a baldwin. I went to get it and as is my habit I took it out of the box for an inspection. I saw that is was made in China and refused to buy it. As a comparison the inlet holes are smaller in the China made filter that in the Allison. Fortunatly there is an allison dealer here as well and I bought the OEM. It was cheaper as well.
    Denny
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

Not trying to put a "spin" on anything here.

The situation is a little different in that it's Baldwin building filters in their facility in China not subbing to the cheapest vendor. We have used the Baldwin filters for several years now w/o incident. The number and size of the holes in the end plate only needs to match the size of the single center hole.

That said, we are stocking only the genuine Allison filter. I'm not a fan of buying anything from China and when it is economically practical I choose USA.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

The Wix spin on tranny filter is also made in China. Made me mad and I was going to send an email to Wix but did some reading on their website first, and they have a factory in China. I'd bet it's just a tooling deal, as the filters for imported cars are all little bitty things the Chinese factory is probably tooled to make production of the itty bitty Allison filter less of a hassle. Still bugs me though.

Unhappy Chinese Filters

The bottom line is that the $$$$$ are still leaving the US and making jobs for Chinese workers.
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Quote Originally Posted by CoyleJR View Post
    The bottom line is that the $$$$$ are still leaving the US and making jobs for Chinese workers.
    Not that simple.

If it costs $5.00 to make a filter here in the states and it sells for $10.00 the company makes a $5.00 profit which it passes on to its owners. Some portion of the cost, say $2.50 goes to the workers. The rest covers materials, overhead, etc.

Make the same filter in China and you may only pay $1.00 for it, so there's a $9 profit to spread around to the (American) owners which they then turn around and spend on other goods and services. End result, only 10% of the money goes to China and the owners make a bigger profit.

I have a product that I had made in China. I could not have justified the tooling and production costs if I made it here, sad to say, so the choice was China or no product. It is a product that is not available anywhere else, so it would not exist save for Chinese manufacturing. It is very profitable for me and my customers are happy.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

So,,,,,,,, made in USA, a lot of workers share the $2.50. Made in china a few people share $9.00. Lots of workers will spend more money than a few people making lots of money. When the workers don't have as much to spend, who will buy what you are selling? In the long run made in the USA is better for the USA. Our gov. needs to spend its money on making it easier to build in the USA. Give people jobs.

Proud to live in the best country on earth....

Mr. Usual Suspect,

When you said that "It is very profitable for me" you have hit on the real problem with foreign manufacturing. In the US today everyone pushes to get maximum profits and no one looks at the big picture to see what they are doing to the country. Companies need to accept less profits and Americans need to pay the extra money to buy Made in USA products. We need to stop sending our jobs and money to places like Communist China.
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

I actually try to avoid buying any Chinese products. I will gladly pay more for American products. Shame on companies who support a Communist nation.
    2004 G.M.C. LLY CC D/A sb 4wd Summit White, ATS Duals, BD X-monitor, BD Exhaust Brake, Snugtop shell, 45 gal. Transferflow fuel tank, AFE stage II
    2004 TDI Jetta GLS S/W
    2005 TDI Passat GLS S/W
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD

rogers is offline Where there's smoke.... There's fire!

Quote Originally Posted by tpitt View Post
    I actually try to avoid buying any Chinese products. I will gladly pay more for American products. Shame on companies who support a Communist nation.

Better not shop at Wal-mart, then! Oh, or home depot ,lowes, best buy, or any other shopping venue that isn't your local farmers market.

Retail spending aside, the sad fact is that the US of A as we know it wouldn't exist without China. Thing is they are the majority share holder over our grand country.

I don't like it any better than anyone else, but if you want to stop supporting China we had better all move to Canada or Mexico or Sweden or somewhere else.
    1996 GMC K3500 Crew Cab Dually 8ft bed
    Rebuilt engine 2/10 18:1 pistons, forged crank, Fluidamper, dsg gear drive timing, high flow oil pump, rebuilt GM8, turbomaster, Kennedy ECM, 4" exhaust, wrapped cross-over and down pipe, '98+ cooling, Duramax fan, aftermarket oil cooler and hoses
    Rebuilt tranny 2/10

In 02~, I read somewhere that in 05, when Alberta came on line with all of that oil, that the US oil shortage would be over. Never saw that in print again! Now, we find that most of that oil is going, (guess where)? Neat! Can't blame the Canadians. If the situation were reversed, we'd do the same thing.
    I've also been using Baldwin filters ever since I read Dr. Lee's report. I sure hope the big ones are still made here.
    Dick Wells
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

My first goal is quality, and USA made comes in close second.

Not sure where the AC Delco oil filters are made, but the Baldwins put them to shame. Last AC Delco we cut apart was only marginally better than Fram in my opinion and that's not saying much.

Baldwin has a high standard of quality and we have had VERY good results with these fuel filter. There are more parts and more quality inside the Baldwin than any other filter that I have cut apart to date. Where the conventional filters glue the media to the plastic plate, the Baldwin element is a steel capped (both ends) unit pushed up against the plate by a mongo coil spring and sealed by a large rubber seal in between. It's been a long time, but does anybody remember the fall apart filter that Mdrag had? This was back when Racor was the only game in town.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Yes, I remember that Dr. Lee found about 2X the filter media in a Baldwin than most others. I always told the sales people at the truck supply place where I went for the Baldwins, that one Baldwin was worth at least 2 Frams. I've proven beyond a doubt that my oil has stayed clean with a Baldwin far beyond anything else that I have used.
    At this point, I'll hold my comments/misgivings about my current $180+ oil/filter change (using Amsoil) for a separate thread!
    Dick Wells
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Companies need to accept less profits and Americans need to pay the extra money to buy Made in USA products.
    You first. If you own part of a company, stocks, mutual funds, whatever, you head in there to the next shareholder's meeting and tell them they need to aim low. Heck, why not go for non-profit? Just remember, that means less money in the pocket of every single shareholder to spend in the American economy. It also means less taxes paid to the government.

And, get out there and start an advertising campaign for higher priced goods. Everyone should jump in line for that. How about "You will pay more money but you won't get better goods!"

I am not a company, I am just one guy. I tried to have this item made here in the states. The price I would have had to sell it for would have meant no sales. The financial outlay would have been too high to risk on the off chance that over the next 20 years or so I might have broken even. I would loose money for sure in the short run and no one would buy the product.

I've seen a few of these items used on e-bay go for as much as $125 each, but that's not sustainable. As it is now I'm offering them new for $40.00. The quality is better than the original (70 years of manufacturing improvements).

Better to have happy customers and a good profit, even if a small portion of the pie ends up in China. There's a good chance I'll break even after the first year or so, then I'll have all that money to spend on other goods and services as I see fit. On the other hand, 100% of zero doesn't help anyone.

American workers can compete in the global market place by several means.

They can build a superior product, the increased value of which justifies the increase in cost. I would buy a 2 year (or better still, 3 year) product over a 1 year product at half the price, unless it is something I don't anticipate needing after 6 months.

They can build product more efficiently, so the per unit cost is competitive even though the per hour cost is not. 1000 widgets an hour from an American worker with a machine trumps 1 widget per hour from each of 1000 Chinese workers by hand. (Quality is probably better, too.)

They can invent a new product no one else is capable of producing. (Never stand still, someone will be gaining on you). PC's, then PC software and microchips, then microchip manufacturing machinery, what next? But, if you can't stay ahead of the curve you'll be swallowed alive by Taiwanese computer manufacturers and Indian programmers.

They can convince the American public that, even though the product is grossly over priced, the feel-good value of buying American is worth the difference. (Who else remembers the "look for the union label" campaign?)

They can get the government to adopt protectionist policies that artificially increase the costs of overseas goods. So, you pay more but no one makes more money, so there are less sales, less profits, less money in everyone's pocket, workers get laid off...
    Last edited by JohnC; 10-24-2009 at 10:33.

Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by DickWells View Post
    ... one Baldwin was worth at least 2 Frams...
    Hmmm, Two Frams sounds like double trouble to me! First prize, a Fram oil filter. Second prize, a case of Fram oil filters...

But, they have that nice sand paper grip!

Default On Buying American...

Vise-Grip Pliers - Made in Nebraska for nearly a century. Last year, the factory closed.. 300 Americans tossed out of work and the tooling sent to red china. Vise Grip pliers still cost what they did when they were made by your neighbor in Nebraska.

Radio Flyer Wagons - Made in Illinois since 1917. Five years ago, the owners shut the doors... fired 50 American workers and moved the manufacturing to red china. Radio Flyers didn't go down in price.

Craftsman (Sears) hand tools. They used to bear that proud stamp "Made in the USA". Today... most of them are made in red china. There was no decrease in retail pricing when the jobs went east.

Harley-Davidson leather jackets. Last Harley jacket I bought was a $550 'FXRG'...made in red china. http://www.made-in-china.com/showroo...r-Jackets.html

I want to know that where it will be find out Chinabuye Baldwin Filters

Question Baldwin filters

Just check the filter and BALDWINS are also made in CHINA?
    Does anyone mfg. filters in the USA?

Wyo - thats really depressing. I've bought a lot of Vise-Grip tools specifically because they are made here. Channel Lock is another brand of hand tool that has been made in USA and now China.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to look at a package and check where its made. I check everything and buy US made products as much as possible.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck