Thread: Step-by-step approach for replacing glow plugs

Default Step-by-step approach for replacing glow plugs

I am having trouble starting my 99 K2500 with 88,000 miles. Once it is warm, it fires right up. In the mornings, however, it takes more time to start than it used to. I figure it is time to replace the glow plugs.

I bought a new set, Delphi HDS309's, and I'm ready to go. I've searched the threads and found all kinds of great advice on replacing the plugs, but I'm still not comfortable. Here is what I have gleaned:

1. Spray them first with CRC or some other lubricant.
    2. Remove all four on the driver's side, replace.
    3. Begin efforts to remove passenger side plugs, stop. Wonder about engineers who put everything in the way. Promise to try again the next day.
    4. Watch football instead. Resolve to do it next weekend.
    5. Try again the following weekend. Quit. Start looking for GMC dealer still in business.
    6. Start thread and ask for help.

How do I get out the four on the passenger side? Thank you in advance for any help. Also, what happened to the references for mechanics the site used to have? Is it gone for good?
    Vashon Island, Washington
    99 6.5 L65 GMC 2500 Extended Cab

Can't wait to see the replies, I started a thread about cold starting and will need to be doing the same, I was wondering the same myself when I looked at mine.
    1995 Chevy 3500 6.5L Turbo Dually

Arrow

Invest a little time, and save a lot (and some knuckle skin). Remove the wheel and wheel well liner. Earlier models were a rubber flap, later models a tub. Same thing, though. Once you get your head in the wheel well, you'll be looking straight at the plugs. Remove heat shields in the way. Use lots of PB Blaster on anything rusty (on the truck...parts you intend to remove...).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

7. Promise yourself that next vehicle will have an in-line motor, not a V8.
    '97 'Burb K1500 6.5td 213k miles 3.42's Amsoil air filter & 15W40. All synthetic lubes. KD 3.5" exhaust. Clean cat. 16.5 - 17 MPG combined, 18+ hwy at 70. Love her, but never know what's next. Chevy should be paying us.

Posts #3 and #4 are EXCELLENT advise!

Pull the engine and lay it on its side...

Reminds me of once when I was a kid. I had a '51 Dodge and needed a new trans. Went to the junk yard. The guy said I could pull it myself. He went out in the yard, hooked a chain around the door post of the junker, tossed it across the roof and hooked it to an old tractor. He pulled the car up on it's side and I unbolted the gearbox... $15.00....

The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

I pulled the wheel and the wheel-well flap and found the front three glow plugs on the passenger side. I assume I should take out the heat shields on the middle plugs before trying to replace them, correct? How about the last one? How in the world do you get to it?

I was reading this and am fearing that I will soon have to deal with it. Almost 200.000km with the original glow plugs. Is there a malfunction code for the plugs or do you have to figure it out the old way what's wrong?
    Chevy K2500 Silverado 6.5 TD

Hi
    If you have the tire off.remove the inner fender.It may sound like a lot of work but takes only a few minutes.Use antiseize on the bolts when you replace it and it will be easyer next time.With it removed you can comfortably work on anything on the motor
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Number 8 takes a little more finesse to get to.

Block the truck good (Safety first) and crawl under the rig. You can reach up between the down pipe and the engine and get tot the plug and the wire easily with one hand.

Use a 1/4 inch drive wratchet and a deep socket to access the little critter.

If you have issues with any of the others, you could leave the back one alone. The engine will fire fine on 7 good ones.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS getting the tire/wheel and such off the rig allows loads of room to get to the plugs as well as doing starter front brackets/wiring etc.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

I did it! Well, 7 out of 8. I crawled under the truck and could see the last one, but I left it alone. I was worried more about getting the clip back on than about getting the plug out and and a new one in.

With regard to the one post about taking the whole inner fender out; does he mean take out the metal fender? I was able to get the others by simply removing the rubber flap.

Thank you for all the help. I find out tomorrow morning if the plugs fix the problem. If not, then it's time for a relay. (I'll probably do that just because it's probably time for a new one anyway.)

It's fixed! 39 degrees this morning, and it fired right up without a skip. All the plugs came out easily, much easier than spark plugs ever do. Thanks again.