Thread: Cold Weather Operation/Fuel Additives

Default Cold Weather Operation/Fuel Additives

When the mercury dropped to 10-below this morning, I pondered the age-old question... "Can I use fuel additives in my fuel without screwing up the warranty or anything else on my Duramax?"

I called the service tech at the dealership what sold me the truck up in Montana. "I'm not aware of any restrictions on using non-alcohol based fuel additives." was the reply.

I then spoke with the tech fella over at Red Line and got the same answer.

My owners manual sidesteps the issue completely. In the "extreme cold weather operation" section, it says "If the fuel gels, take the vehicle to a warm area to thaw." Real helpful.

My plans are to use Red Line 85Plus (Winter Blend) from now until the daisys bloom in the Spring.

Default Power Service it is

Looks like I'll be using Power Service diesel fuel additives as opposed to Red Line. I'll still use Red Line synthetic diesel engine oil though.

Default ?

Why use Power Service over Red Line?

Arrow

Redline may be good stuff, but I don't know. I've never used it. I'd have to read up on it, and use it for a while to form an opinion.

I have, however, used Power Service for many years. It works, as advertised, as far as I can tell. I use the white bottle winter formula when I venture into really cold country (0° to -30°F). It works to keep the fuel flowing. We don't have winterized or #1 Diesel around here (readily available), but I often make trips into areas that get that cold. Logging companies and high country government operations (fire, forestry, sheriff/SAR, surveyors, etc.) have to prepare their own fuel for the conditions. Most use Power Service. One of our USFS stations has winterized fuel delivered, but they don't share (large station, relatively small fuel storage). During warmer times, I use the gray bottle with every fill. Mileage suffers when I don't. An added bonus is it can be found at Walmart, and many other common places. Winterized washer fluid is harder to come by around here.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

You guys are making me feel cold. Of course I'm in Tennessee at the moment and it is snowing, but it is only 32 degrees above zero.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Default Yup on the Power-Service

I first started using Power Service when I bought a brand-new 1984 GMC High Sierra 4X4 with the clattering 6.2L. (Seems to me Power Service was dyed a red color in those days). My brother used it in his semi and recommended it to me.

A few years ago, I installed an Amsoil dual-filtration unit on the old GMC and switched to Red Line synthetic diesel motor oil for the annual oil changes. Since I had to order the oil anyway, I switched from power Service diesel fuel additives to Red Line products.

I've always been happy with Red Line oils and additives. Having said that though... I must say that I'm not strictly a Red Line afficianado. In fact, I use Mobil One in my 97' Suburban (280,000 miles on and she still runs strong).

Power Service has a major strong point in my book... as previously stated in the thread... you can buy Power Service anywhere in the country... truck stops, gas stations, feed stores and of course, red china's main trading partner... Wal-Mart.

Default Still Dropping

1PM and the temperature is at zero. Winter is definitely here.

2009 GMC SLT 3500 Xtended Cab 6.6L
    Lubricated By Rotella T-6 and Amsoil EAO52 Filter

Default 13 below

Minus 13 this morning. The trusty old (5.7L) Suburban groaned a bit, but fired right up. Not bad for a vehicle with nearly 300,000 miles on the odometer... no block heater and 25,000 miles overdue for a tuneup.

2 hours on the block heaters and both diesel trucks started right up.

Thank you General Motors and the UAW craftsmen.

2009 GMC SLT 3500 Xtended Cab 6.6L
    Lubricated By Rotella T-6 and Amsoil EAO52 Filter