Thread: Mitsubishi diesel - Fuso

Default Mitsubishi diesel - Fuso

Hi, I'm a newbie, I hate to start off by asking for help and I'm not sure if this is the place to ask or not but here goes! I recently bought a 1996 Mitsubishi Fuso. It has the 4cyl. turbo diesel engine with the exhaust brake. Only 130,000 miles and it's got squat for power! Air cleaner's new, fuel's fresh. The brakes were dragging so I figured once I fixed them the problem would be gone. It's not and the fuel consumption is terrible. If anyone's got any advice it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff71 View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie, I hate to start off by asking for help and I'm not sure if this is the place to ask or not but here goes! I recently bought a 1996 Mitsubishi Fuso. It has the 4cyl. turbo diesel engine with the exhaust brake. Only 130,000 miles and it's got squat for power! Air cleaner's new, fuel's fresh. The brakes were dragging so I figured once I fixed them the problem would be gone. It's not and the fuel consumption is terrible. If anyone's got any advice it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jeff
    Jeff:

Perhaps your expectations are a little off. The 4 cyl. turbo Mitsi's are only rated for 115 or 120 HP. This coupled with a truck with all the endearing aerodynamic properties of a grand piano with the lid open means a pretty slow truck. If your just using it around town, gearing might help but if you are on the highway, your just going to have to live with enemic performance.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Thanks Bill, I appreciate your imput. Your right about me having the wrong expectations for this thing! I didn't take into consideration this motor was only 110-120 hp. The scary thing is, I have drive this thing all over the country from job to job. There's gonna be alot of angry people stuck behind me-lol! I can get her up to 65 on the flats and 70 down a steep hill lol. It's a ugly lil truck, but great handling through town. Well thanks again! Jeff

Jeff:

Keep your eyes open. These trucks also came with the 6 cylinder, much better on the highway albeit thirstier. The swap would be straight forward, once you got the cab removed, and the highway performance would be more then adequate. These are great trucks and there is certainly uglier trucks out there. Can't beat the cab layout and theres enough room in there to install an air ride seat.

Happy motoring.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)