Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: `06 LBZ improvement, MPG and power

Default `06 LBZ improvement, MPG and power

I just sold off my `05 LLY truck that had an Edge EZ controller installed, was absolutely awesome with power, on level 1 it added 1 MPG, on 2 it added 2 MPG, and had too much actual power for what I needed, I never tried level 3. I added this only to increase mileage and help with a little bottom end power with daily driving. It got 18+ on the highway, and was a dually.
    So I now have a 2500 LBZ truck, i use this for daily driving and also to tow a 10,000 lb. race car trailer, i am not interested in making the truck a race truck, i have a 1000hp dragster I race, just looking for more MPG and a little more bottom end power when daily driving, as this truck still lacks eventhough its a much bigger engine on paper compared to what I just sold, truck currently gets 13 to 15 in city driving, on a 500 mile trip on the highway driving 60 to 65 it got as high as 17 on the DIC, hand cal. to just under 18.
    I have looked around and can not seem to find a "plug-in" unit like the EZ that I had that fits this truck, so I am asking for advice on what is available in a small boost in power and is the best bang for your buck in a performance enhancer. The one thing I did NOT like about the Edge unit I had was when you were towing, if you put your foot into the throttle close to 1/2 way down while accelerating, it would suddenly take off like you hit the NOS button with power, would start pouring out tons of black smoke and seemed to have too much power, I am looking for something much more smoother in the power band and not cause any damage to the engine or trans.
    What do you know about different units, how have they worked for you, and whats the cost?, appreciate any help.

Welcome aboard!

I love the 2006 Duramax package. Think of it as a 'factory chipped' LLY Duramax. With that in mind, realize that in stock trim, you are running closer to the ragged edge of what the stock Allison torque converter can hang onto.

The stock variable-vane turbo is nearly bullet-proof mechanically, but is also the first componant to overheat when fuel rates are increased over stock. In hot, extended, and/or mountainous towing conditions, a heat soak begins that can cause the entire cooling system to reach its 'tipping point', thermally.

Have fun - with your knowledge of what it takes to make 1000hp and keep parts happy - you'll have no problem appreciating what happens when you push stock drivetrain componants under varying loads, power levels, etc. My opinion is that Edge tunes are 'smokey' and made for street racing, or light towing. Kennedy diesel makes a good ECM based tune for daily drivers, that delivers the mileage while making 'big block' feeling power.

My overall heavy towing (GCWV >18K#) observation, with 100K+ total towing miles on two 2006 trucks is to run it bone stock (and with your foot to the floor if you want) - or chip it slightly, and then be conservative with your right foot, who else you let drive the truck, and keep an eye on the trans temp and water temp gauges.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=33987

Have fun!
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Mark, thanks for all the input. I was hoping this would have a little more kick daily driving, I have not towed with it yet.
    I was reading where this engine/trans. is a little different from the LLY, the torque converter was supposed to be "beefed up" from the `05, to handle the extra power and the engine is 50HP and 60 lbs. torque more than what I had right?, but this feels about the same as my `05 did when it was stock, when I added the Edge, even on level 1 it ran like a raped ape", level 2 was too much as I said, I am a little dissapointed in the way this LBZ runs and the mileage.
    I hear what you are saying about having too much added power stressing the stock parts to their limit. My truck is bone stock, was purchased from the original owner, I know it never did any heavy towing, as there was no brake controller hooked up, and the factory harness for it was still in the glove box, but, GM did just replace the turbo under warranty this year. It went in for a poor performance service call, and thats what they replaced along with re-flashing the glow plug system, so without any heavy towing, not sure why they had to replace the turbo.

As a side note, i was under the hood on the truck today, and saw that the air filter plugged up indicator popped out, so I looked at the air filter and it was filthy, so I bought a K&N for it, $75 later I installed it and reset the indicator, not sure till I drive it tomorrow if that will make any difference, I figured if it was really bad it would have thrown some sort of code or message on the DIC, which it did not.

Where can i get some info on a Kennedy tune as you mentioned, is this a programmer type like the Diablo or Edge?

Do you have any family in the WNY area?, I used to work with a father and 2 sons named Rinker, Dale, Mark and Mitch.

www.kennedydiesel.com

I think the power you have with the LBZ should be similar to the LLY with a 'level 1' tune...however the power is more linear, and found deeper into the pedal.

The Kennedy tune has the most 'seat of the pants' kick and the extra timing makes the Duramax SOUND different than any other tune on the market. It might be a bit much for heavy, constant towing - but that can be regulated with your right foot.

Have fun...no relatives known in NY, although most of the family tree hails from settlers in VA's Shenandoah Valley.
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali

Early 2006 were called LLY but were mechanically the same as the later LBZ. the '06 LLY power was the same as the '05 LLY. Could this be what you actually have?

Mechanically it is an LBZ and should not be plagued with the LLY cooling issues of the earlier years.

The stock [Donaldson] air filter is very good. The K&N lets in enough grit to scare me...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Default K&N filter

Pete,
    The first thing I would do it so remove that K&N and replace it with an OEM type unit.
    Then after getting some baseline numbers (running a few tanks of fuel through it) I'd call John at Kennedy Diesel and have him hook you up!
    Good luck and have fun!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

The truck is definitely an LBZ, has a "D" in the vin., not #2 like my LLY had.

The air filter I took out was also a K&N, this is just the cone insert inside the stock housing, not the complete system. Truck does seem to have a little more bottom end with the new filter.

Looking for a very mild system to add if anything for more MPG and bottom end power when city driving, unless I just have to start putting my foot into it more, was never used to driving like that, this is my 3rd. Duramax after owning 1 powerstroke, and I never had any of them on the floor. I got spoiled owning (2) 8.1 liter big blocks before the Duramax trucks, the power they had was wild, so was the lack of fuel economy, so when I started driving more I was forced to get rid of them, got 7 towing and 9 to 10 not, was spending $120 a week in gas to get to work.

From what I have read, the Superchips is about the mildest system available, only adding about 40 HP in the tow mode, any thoughts????.

Quote Originally Posted by pete m View Post
    >>> From what I have read, the Superchips is about the mildest system available, only adding about 40 HP in the tow mode, any thoughts? >>>
    Based on what you've said? Drive it with a heavier foot for 30 days, before you spend any money on tuners. Seriously.

How can a "heavier foot" help fuel mileage?

I guess I should wait 3 months till the snow melts and we start racing again, and then I can hook up the trailer and see how well it tows and then make a decision.

My main concern was trying to get to the 18+ mpg range, what about the Kennedy "boost stick", or is that also something I don't want when towing?

Waiting would get you back into non-winterized fuel as well - and improve mileage.

Its hard to find more mileage while adding fuel, unless there is something basically wrong with the factory timing, fuel rates, and boost levels. The factory '06 tune is pretty good...they basically gave us a 'Level 1' tune from the factory.

Not familiar with boost stick. Never tested it - the custom Kennedy tune had more boost dialed in programmatically. I think you might find what you are looking for with Kennedy's LBZ economy/tow tune, from what I am reading. Better power down low, good unloaded fuel economy, possibly even more than factory.

In any case, you should always have the ability to return to factory tuning by carrying the tuner, stock ECM, etc. in case you encounter a situation where more fuel rate, timing, and boost is NOT to your engine's benefit.

>>>and then I can hook up the trailer and see how well it tows and then make a decision. <<<
    Remember, more load behind the truck = more fuel rate = more EGTs = more boost = MORE POWER.

Loaded, stock tests are certainly in order! The stock LBZ took me over 60K towing miles last year, coast to coast, north to south, with average GCVW weights of ~20-22K#...most of the boats I haul are 12-14K# with 3K# trailer, so I am careful about pushing the turbo too hard, especially in the summer heat and anywhere mountainous.

If you expect a flatland mix of daily driving and towing at max of ~18K# GCVW, JK's tune, or similar 40-60hp tow tunes will fill the bill.

I believe the truck weight is about 5600, crew cab 2500 long bed 4X4, trailer is just under 10K loaded, so it would definitely be under 18K, I am looking to do a mix of both types of driving, mostly flat land, and I drive with a VERY light foot, as i said, I don't know where the floor board is under the gas pedal, and really don't want to. I was mostly afraid of the LLY with Edge because it really took off at 1/2 throttle, started blowing a LOT of black smoke and really started pulling hard, with 10K behind it, I was afraid i would damage the engine or trans eventhough it was supposed to be only adding 50HP and 100 lbs. Torque.

I did read about one of the tuners that was supposed to be very mild and smooth in power, unlike the Edge.

What is the cost of the Kennedy economy tune you mentioned?.

Call JK @ www.kennedydiesel.com for prices. I think you'll see same or better mileage during unloaded driving, with LOTS more power, and a noticably rumbly, aggressive feeling/sounding torque curve. Definately the most fun to drive of all the LBZ tunes I have tested.

The Predator LBZ tow tune is moderate and well mannered, the tuner gives ability to read/clear codes. Don't expect to see any mileage increases, loaded or unloaded. I run the Edge Evolution on my dash for gauges, monitoring up to 4 vehicle parameters at once, through the OBD-II port. (Find one used for cheap on Ebay and you have a mess of data for a few hundred bucks, installed in about an hour, mostly drilling and installing the EGT probe.)

Right now, JK's custom tune ECM is under the back seat, waiting for the next empty, unloaded trip somewhere or the next county fair truck pull. The Predator is on the back seat, ready to read codes. The stock ECM has been in place more often than not, for the last 40K or so.

Thats where I have ended up, with what I do.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-18-2010 at 21:33.

I believe the truck weight is about 5600, crew cab 2500 long bed 4X4, trailer is just under 10K loaded, so it would definitely be under 18K, I am looking to do a mix of both types of driving, mostly flat land, and I drive with a VERY light foot, as i said, I don't know where the floor board is under the gas pedal, and really don't want to. I was mostly afraid of the LLY with Edge because it really took off at 1/2 throttle, started blowing a LOT of black smoke and really started pulling hard, with 10K behind it, I was afraid i would damage the engine or trans eventhough it was supposed to be only adding 50HP and 100 lbs. Torque.

I did read about one of the tuners that was supposed to be very mild and smooth in power, unlike the Edge.

What is the cost of the Kennedy economy tune you mentioned?.
    I think you're going to find your truck weighs quite a bit more then that. A customer has an 07 GMC extended cab shortbed with lightened slightly (spare and hoist removed, one battery removed, etc) for racing still weighs 6800 with him in it.

I had mine weighed with full fuel (original 26 gallon tank) and absolutely nothing in it and it weighed exactly 7,000 lbs. I can add 156 lbs more to that now with the new Titan 52 gallon tank.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Well even if it does weigh 7000, it will still be under 18,000 total. I had a CC 4X4 Duramax dually that had 9200 lbs. stamped on the title , before that I had 2500 Duramax, CC, short bed 4X4 and that title said 5500, this is the same truck as that except for a long bed so i figured another 100 lbs, don't have the title yet so i don't know for sure.

What about some more input on a mild tuner for this, watching a Bully Dog power pup on eBay, says it has a mild 45HP tow tune, what about this one?.

Is it safer to change out the ECM instead of adding a tuner, truck still has 9000 miles on the engine warranty, don't really want to use it, but don't want a rejection if i have to take it in, on a 2006 does a tuner leave any traces of install?.

Appreciate the advice, thanks!.

Pete,
    I think the reason you are getting people telling you to go with the ECM swap is that your ECM won't contain any traces of mods that might have been installed, thus voiding your warranty. It's hard to been John's (Kennedy) tune. I think he custom tunes as well based on you individual needs.
    Have fun!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

I would suggest starting with the ECM programming and progress from there. With the LBZ I would leave the intake stock. A 4" full exhaust is always a benefit and will only help, but is not necessary. I make no promises on MPG, BUT I repeatedly receive reports of best ever MPG and topping 20+ is quite common IF you behave.

My LBZ is my least modified truck (ECM and that is it) yet I find the powertrain package to be my favorite to drive. I just wish it was a 3500SRW like my 05 so I could keep it...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Kennedy, what would it cost for a mpg helper tune for me LBZ i only get 12 mpg. I have a efi live tuner and guy from socal diesel gave me like a 50hp tune. i see no difference from stock to now on any thing.. And on my 04 i run the edge on 2 and ppe's accelerator on 8, lots of smoke, do you think it is necessary to do something with that ecm on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by havenopower View Post
    Kennedy, what would it cost for a mpg helper tune for me LBZ i only get 12 mpg. I have a efi live tuner and guy from socal diesel gave me like a 50hp tune. i see no difference from stock to now on any thing.. And on my 04 i run the edge on 2 and ppe's accelerator on 8, lots of smoke, do you think it is necessary to do something with that ecm on this one.
    Best would be to drop me an email direct or give me a call.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!