Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locker for a K3500 Dually

Arrow

John's correct. Do not use ANY additive. That stuff was for older limited slip diffs, which you shouldn't have (and don't, according to your test). For the older trucks (~1995), GM 85w-90 GL-5 was the recommended lube. Problems with some later on found the use of synthetic 90 GL-5 cured the issues.

The Gov-Loc is open (and should spin freely) until locked, exactly like an open diff, until it locks. With both tires off the ground, you should be able to spin one side by hand (or foot) fast enough to engage the lock. The wheel should lock and jerk at this point. The 100 RPM differential wheel speed may sound like a lot, but it isn't, and with both wheels up, it only takes 50 RPM's on one side to get it to lock (50 RPM's forward on one side + 50 RPM's reverse on the other side = 100 RPM differential). I can't tell anything by looking at the pic you posted, and I couldn't get the larger images to load at your picture album site (tiny thumbnails only??), so I can't tell what you have. Try posting the larger images in this thread, like you did the first one.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by JetBoater View Post
    I jacked up the back wheels and spun the tires. The tires on the other side turned in the opposite direction.
    This is normal operation.

I have used power lock and true-trac lockers in previous trucks, and those lockers always engaged so that the wheels spun in the same direction.
    Right, but the gov-loc is unlocked normally.

I had a friend hold the tires on one side while I tried spinning the other side, and they definitely held firm.
    I assume you had it in park or in gear if it is a standard. Again, this is normal. If one wheel can't turn and the driveshaft can't turn then the other wheel won't turn either.

Have Steve spin his wheel backwards while you spin yours forwards. When it grabs you'll feel a jerk as both wheels try to turn the same way. (They can't if the driveshaft can't turn, but they'll try.)

Do you have the RPO codes in the glove box? Does it list G80?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

It was in park... thanks, makes sense. I will give it another spin after work today in neutral. The glove box did not list G80 code that could see, just cargo weight capacity.

I won't use additive. Sounds like I have the right gear oil, GM 85w-90 GL-5. Here are a few more pics.

I found this diagram on the web also, and assume it depicts my carrier?

Sorry if the pics weren't the greatest.
    Last edited by JetBoater; 02-01-2010 at 08:19. Reason: pics too large

pics are not showing up properly, I downsized to 800 x 600 but they are huge... sorry, will try to fix.

Smaller pics:

Ok, good and bad news.

Good news: I found the G80 number on another decal under the glovebox junk. This would indicate I have a gov-loc.

Bad news: I spun the tires and had my neighbor jam the opposite wheel when it got up to speed, and no clunk. We did this 3 times and felt the wheels slow down, but that was it.

What now? Rebuild or replace? Cheaper to rebuild it I guess....
    JohnC / DmaxMaverick, I do appreciate you workin with me on this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just spin them in opposite directions as fast as you can. If nothing happens, then it isn't working. If it grabs, one wheel will try to switch directions.

Maybe time for new clutch packs.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Well, at least you have an easy axle to work on. The 14 bolt is real easy to set up, especially when ou don't need to touch the pinion gear.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck