Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locker for a K3500 Dually

Default Locker for a K3500 Dually

I have been considering installing a posi for maintaining 'dually' footing on slippery concrete boat ramps.

I have lost traction while pulling my buddy's boat out of the ocean with the camper on, at low tide. The issue went away with 4X4 engaged, but NOT being able to move forward with the ocean coming in behind you is not a nice feeling.

What posi would be best, and what will hold up to all the weight? I am guessing an air locker ? Experience/advise ? Should I bother?

The truck is empty during winter, and at maximum weight capacity in the spring, summer, and fall with the camper and boat.

I'm sure I'll get jumped all over for saying this, but, the Eaton factory G80 option is perfect for that application...

No bad manners in the winter!

They come up on E-bay frequently for around $200. Search for "10.5 locker"
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

My concern would be the initial slip of the wheels then the grab of the locker. With a heavy truck, camper and boat in tow, I think the Gov-Lock might fail. The shock of it locking up could break the the locker or even an axle shaft.

If you are going to the trouble of tearing into the rear end (the 14 bolt FF's are one of the easier axles to set-up), pop for the extra control of the Eaton E-Locker. Flip of a switch and the axles are locked. No slip, no bang, and less of a chance of breaking an axle or anything else with proper operation. Lock it in as you back into the water and unlock it before you make any turns.

John is right about winter operations though. The Gov Lock works well because its only working when your stuck. A locked rear axle on slippery surfaces make a moving truck slide sideways very easily. The Gov is less likely to do that.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck

When does a G80 ever work?

The Eaton E-Locker sounds like the right unit for my application.

My concern was breaking something if I went to a true locker, or chewing through clutch packs on limited slip type lockers. My extra weight is the issue of concern.

Thanks gents!

Quote Originally Posted by john8662 View Post
    When does a G80 ever work?

Confirmed that mine works just a few weeks ago when I got stuck!

Mine, (and keep in mind that this is a half ton) engages and works properly but bangs really hard when the governor locks the clutches. So bad that it feels like someone hitting the truck with a sledge hammer. I know someday that I'll pulll out of my driveway (this happens frequently) a tire will slip in the sand, and BOOM! ....... 10 bolt differential pieces everywhere!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by crashz View Post
    My concern would be the initial slip of the wheels then the grab of the locker. With a heavy truck, camper and boat in tow, I think the Gov-Lock might fail. The shock of it locking up could break the the locker or even an axle shaft.

If you are going to the trouble of tearing into the rear end (the 14 bolt FF's are one of the easier axles to set-up), pop for the extra control of the Eaton E-Locker. Flip of a switch and the axles are locked. No slip, no bang, and less of a chance of breaking an axle or anything else with proper operation. Lock it in as you back into the water and unlock it before you make any turns.

John is right about winter operations though. The Gov Lock works well because its only working when your stuck. A locked rear axle on slippery surfaces make a moving truck slide sideways very easily. The Gov is less likely to do that.
    That's how the Gov-Loc works, any time and every time it engages. If it were so week it fails under these conditions, there would be none left working, and the design abandoned. They do fail on occasion, but so does everything else. The Gov-Loc doesn't fail any more often than any other component considered "reliable".

Considering cost, simplicity and convenience, the Gov-Loc is the best option. Limited slip is an obsolete thing of the past. They have their place, but don't perform well at all under heavy load. Air lockers and the E-Locker are nice, but expensive. They can also be less convenient. By the time you decide it's time to lock in, it may be too late already (been there...done that). The Gov-Loc is idiot proof. They work. They just plain work. Every time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Yup, I've had for of them and never a lick of trouble. Come to think of it, I think the Yukon has one too. Make that 5.

If you break one, I'm guessing you're pretty aggressive with the go pedal.

Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

One bad thing about E-lockers are they are not rebuildable, so if it comes time and it will eventually to rebuild you'll have to buy a new unit. Well, this was the case when they first came out, I don't know about now.

Quote Originally Posted by crashz View Post
    Confirmed that mine works just a few weeks ago when I got stuck!

Mine, (and keep in mind that this is a half ton) engages and works properly but bangs really hard when the governor locks the clutches. So bad that it feels like someone hitting the truck with a sledge hammer. I know someday that I'll pulll out of my driveway (this happens frequently) a tire will slip in the sand, and BOOM! ....... 10 bolt differential pieces everywhere!
    That sounds more like a Detroit?
    1994 GMC Suburban K2500TD
    SSD heatsink, Dorman PMD, #9 resistor, '97 cooling upgrade, Heath TM @ 2.25"
    305/70R17 Bighorns on H2s, TT and 2" blocks
    Diamond Eye 4" exhaust

OK... I'll give the Gov-Loc a search and see if I can find one. The cost-less option is always more attractive anyway.

Thanks for the reassurance!

I've had success with the 10 bolt version. The one used in the 14bolt FF, I've had two duds with. My K2500 Suburban with the 14FF has the G80 option and it only one-tire fires (135k miles on assembly). The K3500 Dually also has one, it'll two-tire fire and not four tire fire (177k miles on assembly). Sucks! So, I question the 14FF 10.5" G80 unit.
    1982 C10 SCSWB 6.5TD, mods too extensive to list. (13.69 1/4 mile @94.6 MPH) RACE TRUCK
    1982 C10 SCSWB 6.2NA, 2.73 700
    1986 C10 SCLWB 6.2TD 3.73 700
    1989 V20 SUB 6.2NA, 3.73 400
    1994 G20 VAN 6.5NA, 3.42 60E
    1994 K20LD ECSWB 6.5TD, 3.42 80E
    1995 K20 SUB 6.5TD, Wrecked, ran into by stupid teen.
    1995 C3500HD DRW 6.5TD, 12' Flatbed 5.13 80E
    1995 C3500HD DRW 6.5TD, 18' Rollback Wrecker 4.63 80E
    1994 C20HD ECLWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E Wifes Truck.
    1995 C20LD ECSWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E
    1995 K20LD SCLWB 6.5TD 3.73 80E
    1996 K30 DRW 6.5TD 4.10 80E
    1997 C10 Tahoe 2Door 2WD 5.7L to 6.5 Conversion Underway

Arrow

First off, "G80" only denotes the GM RPO code for rear axle traction assist. The code was the same before lockers were an option, and limited slip was the only option. About 1995 was the year Gov-Loc replaced L/S. Even back when L/S was the only option, GM labeled it "locking rear differential". So, terminology is really vague in this area.

To keep it simple, almost all Gov-Loc problems can be attributed to poor maintenance practice. The components are plenty strong, but require regular (proper) service to last. Most issues are caused by the wrong, or poor quality lube. If engagement is harsh (bangs in, all the time), the clutch is probably shot. The clutch doesn't aid in engagement, but is only there to "soften" engagement, like a synchro in a tranny. Engagement is a solid mechanical connection, once complete. Many times, a drain/fill with a high(er) quality lube is all that is needed to cure harsh engagement. Synthetic lube is recommended, and is required for most applications.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Thanks DMax!

That could be the problem with mine. I service it approximately every 30K miles, but its due now and to be honest I think I put in a cheaper brand of synthetic (I believe its valvoline 75w-140 right now).

I'll clean, inspect & change with RP and see how it goes. I'll also retract my satement of the G80. In all honesty it does work. Its gotten me out of a few slippery spots and with 120K, still works as it did when new. I don't drive it hard, but I do some light snow plowing and it sees some off-road and dirt roads from time to time. I also live on a unique hill, hence my driveway tale.

Arrow

Valvoline synthetic lubes are pretty good, by comparison (no better/worse than RP, IMO). Sounds like it could be more of the 75-140 during very cold temps lately. The stuff would be like bunker oil at that temp. Perhaps it wasn't warmed up?

Unless you are doing a lot of real heavy towing during the winter, I'd suggest using 75-90 lube. I don't think 140 would ever be beneficial in your climate with that truck, year round. A 1/2 ton will see only so much load. 75-90 synthetic should be more than adequate (and might improve economy a bit).

I use Amsoil 75-140 Severe Gear, but most of my really heavy towing is during the summer in CA. Hot and heavy! I'd use 75-90, otherwise.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I took some pics of my carrier during my last service, and wonder if I do have an old gov-loc? Could someone advise?

If this is a gov-loc, it must be the older style (truck is 1993) and worn out.

)

A couple more picts here:
    http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...olt%20Carrier/

Thanks, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JetBoater View Post
    I took some pics of my carrier during my last service, and wonder if I do have an old gov-loc?

It's been a long time since I looked at a 10.5, but I believe that's it. On the open carrier you can see the spider gears.

Jack up the rear axle and have someone help you spin the two tires in opposite directions. If it's working, it'll lock up briefly if you can get the relative speed of the two wheels to reach 100 RPM (pretty easy to do.)

What kind of lube did you put in it?

Hmm, you may be onto something John.... maybe I need an additive for this style gov-loc?

I used GM rear axle lubricant, whatever that is. It comes in 1 liter bottles here in Canada.

I asked a friend what carrier i had at that time, and he told me it was open. It didn't look like a typical open carrier, but I took his word for it. I did not see any spider gears. I was also looking for 4 shafts that hold those gears, but only saw 3.

I guess I could acquire some posi-additive and see what happens; or would you recommend taking out the unit and inspecting the fiber discs first?

Do not use any limited slip additive. IIRC, it was designed for 80W90 GL5.

Could be it needs new discs at this point. You're getting beyond my knowledge zone. How many miles?

One time I got stuck with the '93. I was cursing the locker. Maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I put it in lo (5 speed), let the clutch out at idle and got out and walked around the truck. Both rear wheels were turning (forward) about 1 mph...

My truck has 184,000 kms (114,000 miles).

This dually was worked hard by previous owners. This is its 3rd engine. I added the P400 power plant at 175,000 kms.

I assume the gov-loc is completely worn out. I will jack up the back-end when the rain stops here... and spin the wheels to verify action.

I jacked up the back wheels and spun the tires. The tires on the other side turned in the opposite direction.

I have used power lock and true-trac lockers in previous trucks, and those lockers always engaged so that the wheels spun in the same direction.

I had a friend hold the tires on one side while I tried spinning the other side, and they definitely held firm. Steve is a good 275 lb man who held his side solid. I could not rotate the tires on my side at all. I guess this little test confirms I have some amount of posi-traction.

If anyone has a newer style gov-loc, detroit, or other similar for sale, PM me. I have 4.10 ratio.
    Thanks.