Thread: Switch to Synthetic Oil - What Mileage?

Default Switch to Synthetic Oil - What Mileage?

What's the general consensus as to how many miles a new Duramax engine should have on it before going to a fully synthetic motor oil?
    I always did it at the 6,000 mile mark on Harley V-twins, but I'm thinking I will hit 10,000 on the DMax before I switch.
    Thanks in advance.

2009 GMC SLT 3500 Xtended Cab 6.6L
    Lubricated By Rotella T-6 and Amsoil EAO52 Filter

I guess there is no concensus on this one, Dutch. Go with your gut and change at 10K.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rinker View Post
    I guess there is no concensus on this one, Dutch. Go with your gut and change at 10K.
    I was going to go with Red Line 15/40 diesel oil (which I've used for years in my 6.2)... but after doing some more research.. I'm opting for Rotella T-6... primarily bacause of the low ash additives.

Figure the T-6 with an Amsoil 25K filter should cut my oil changes to a semi-annual ritual.

2009 GMC SLT 3500 Xtended Cab 6.6L
    Lubricated By Rotella T-6 and Amsoil EAO52 Filter

Run Amsoil 15-40 Diesel 100 percent Synthetic the best. Become a preferred customer like I did. You get it for wholesale sent to your door in two days. I also run the Amsoil EaO synthetic oil filter. Amsoil is the best you get the best protection and mileage!

Quote Originally Posted by WyoDutch View Post
    What's the general consensus as to how many miles a new Duramax engine should have on it before going to a fully synthetic motor oil?
    I always did it at the 6,000 mile mark on Harley V-twins, but I'm thinking I will hit 10,000 on the DMax before I switch.
    Thanks in advance.
    There was a discussion a few years ago at GM concerning whether to pre-fill all of the Duramax 6600 engines with Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic from the factory. They do this with the Corvette engines.

There are lubrication engineers and others I trust who say you can pour in synthetic from the very beginning, and that no break-in time is needed. Personally, I'd not do it for a while cuz I like to change the oil within 1000 miles of new to remove any manufacturing particles and assembly lube. From that point on, use whatever meets the powertrain warranty.

Jim

Synthetic oil has no effect on breakin. Piston aircraft engines do need a breakin period, exprcially if a cylinder has been replaced, or if it has chromed cylinders.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.