Thread: Smoke from dipstick

Default Smoke from dipstick

So I finally got the truck up and running good and beat on her a little bit to really clean the carbon out as she has not had a good run in over 6 months. Alot of black smoke came out the exhaust when doing this but seemed to clear up quite quickly.

The concern I have is I am getting alot of smoke coming from the dipstick when the stick is still situated in the tube on idle and when I remove the CDR (PCV), alot of smoke is generating from this as well. I would not think this is normal but I am new to diesels and could be mistaken.

I am getting a code 25 right now that either indicates a MAT Sensor, Vacuum switching valve or ATS sensor.

I disconnected the vacuum from the wastegate selonoid yesterday to get some readings and I am at 19lbs. Is this normal and would that set a code when disconnecting for only 2 minutes?

Could the code 25 be causing the excessive smoke from the dipstick and CDR (PCV)?

Thank you
    1995 Silverado 3500 Dually Ext. Cab
    "F" CODE, 334,000 km's , Intake inlet removed, Manual Glow plug over ride, Electronic brake control

Future mods: Cold Air Intake, 3.5" Down Pipe, 4" straight pipe, EGT Gauge, Boost Gauge, TurboMaster, 2005 Tow Mirrors,

I WANT TO HEAR THAT TURBO SCREAM.....

Excessive white smoke from either the CDR or dipstick pipe is due to blowby - combustion gases making their way past the pistons - either by poor piston ring seal or damaged pistons/cylinder walls.

A compression check might be in order....

Jim