Thread: Homebuilt WVO kit?

Default Homebuilt WVO kit?

I'm planning on swapping in a inline four cylinder diesel to my 1996 Chevy S10.

I would like to do a waste vegetable oil setup on it.

I can weld and stuff, and I have no issues making stuff up. I dont want any computer controlls or anything like that.

My plans so far were to make a fuel cell to fit in the bed to hold the veggie oil, and keep my stock fuel tank.

I was thinking of putting a filter after the waste veggie oil tank, and the same for the stock fuel tank. Use a solenoid valve on each tank and have them Y into the stock fuel line that goes to the front. I would do the same for the return, so when the WVO switch is on, it will feed and return wvo to the right tank, and when the diesel switch is on, it will feed and return diesel to the right tank.

One thing I'm not sure about is, fuel pumps. I think will not use the stock GM fuel pump. Is there some sort of fuel pump I can use for diesel and is not mounted in the tank?

What about fuel lines, is there any special ones? I think my truck has steel lines from the tank till the firewall somewhere.

I'm not sure what engine I will be going with yet, is there any engines that I cannot use?

I will be running coolant lines into the tank to heat the WVO, what temperature does it need to be at?

I've done some reading online and I haven't found too much.

I do know that I have to start and warm the truck up with diesel, and purge the system with diesel before shutdown. Also, is there specific length of time required to purge the system?

Search a little more and you will find a wealth of knowledge on a home made WVO kit out there on the net.

Essentially what you need is :
    - separate tank for the VO- make sure it is aluminum- you may want to look at northern tool, they have some really nice transfer tanks that are not too pricey
    - I use a hose in hose setup so my fuel lines are heated all the way to my WVO filter with hot coolant from the engine. I have a greasecar tank and heated filter that have custom fittings that separate the fuel line from the coolant. These would not be hard to make yourself though. Check out this post for a way to make it yourself: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...se-wvo-239517/
    - a good WVO fuel pump- I use a raptor 100 from pureflow technologies- awesome quality, made to use with WVO and has a lifetime warranty
    - two, 3 way valves to switch from WVO to diesel and run all of your return lines
    - I modified my greasecar tank to remove the copper heating coil (reacts with WVO so aviod using ANY copper) and am using a Hotfox heated fuel pick up, can get it from plantdrive for any size tank- only $200- plumbed with coolant to heat tank
    - I also use a VEGTHERM from plantdrive- its a 12v electric heater and is great for giving the oil a final blast of heat right before injection- I have mine right before the injection pump
    - get a pillar gauge pod with four gauges to measure temp- check out that post I mentioned earlier for a good setup on this
    - I have a coolant heated fuel filter setup from greasecar, not too great, but there are many more options out there so look around
    -avoid copper and zinc stuff like the plague- it will cause problems

If you spend the money upfront to do it right it will pay for itself much quicker than if you skimp and have to redo it constantly

ps. I have always dreamed of a 4BT in something neat like a first gen blazer or fj40- if you could get your hands on a p-pumped 4BT you would have one kickin S-10!
    Sold: 98 2500 ext cab long bed 4x4 auto 166k, Lubrication Specialties oil cooler, FSD cooler, Walking J "feed the Beast" mod, Heath HD lift pump, SSdiesel turbo back exhaust, Heath mechanical boost controller, Softtopper camper top, boost, egt, fuel pressure gauges

1970 El Camino SS, built 355, aluminum heads, Lunati cam, intake, 800 cfm edlebrock, Tremec 5 spd, QA1 Coil over all around, Wilwood discs up front, 3.73 Posi 12 bolt, Viper Red

2012 Audi A3 TDI- Love it! 45 mpg!

Default green machine fuel

fuel prices are way to high for me to keep my truck if i ran it on straight diesel. I am so glad i converted my truck. i got all my parts for the conversion at http://www.green-machine.yolasite.com they custom-fabbed a stainless 40 gallon tank to fit under my job box and built in a custom heated fuel pickup. I got my filter, pump, fuel lines and all from them. great price. he helped me out the whole way through.