Thread: Manual Trans (SM420) Bellhousing Question

Default Manual Trans (SM420) Bellhousing Question

I had to pick a 60's cast chevy bellhousing off a SM420 today because of adapter issues (I'm putting my 6.2 in front of my jeep's t-18). I fit the bell up to the engine and that all seems fine. I do see one issue though, the stock starter doesn't look like it will fit in the older bellhousing. Am I stuck picking up something like this http://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=203608 or is there another (cheaper) option?

Here's what I've got-
    Frankenjeep Finally being put together -1967 Jeep J-3000 cab, 1975 cherokee chassis, '88 goodwrench j-code 6.2, t-18, dana 20, 32" wrangler mtr's

I figured out a solution - I bought a "sizing ring" from novak adapters that fits over the small bearing retainer to bring it up to the same size as the original bellhousing. So I'll be using the early bellhousing for mock up, until I recieve the ring on wednesday.
    Frankenjeep Finally being put together -1967 Jeep J-3000 cab, 1975 cherokee chassis, '88 goodwrench j-code 6.2, t-18, dana 20, 32" wrangler mtr's

I put a NP435 behind a turbo'ed 6.2 in my '67 C-30, and I had the same problem. My truck came with a SM420 so I had the same bellhousing. I just cut the starter mount off the bellhousing, and used an '88 up block mounted gear reduction starter. It works great.

I thought a had a pic of it on file, but I could not find it. Basically I cut the area off on your pic below just enough to clear the nose of the factory starter. I trimmed it where I can run the early big starter or the later gear reduction that I am running.

FWIW, while that PowerMaster starter is somewhat more expensive, it is a good starter. I got that starter, very stout batteries, & made 1/0 cables to help my 19:1 comp ratio engine start in winter's coldest temps.

That thing really spins things over. Sounds as rapid or faster than the newer diesels w/ gear reduction starters.
    1995 K2500, 8600 GVWR, 6.5TD, NV4500, 3.73:1, 18:1, balanced, Fluidampr, DSG timing gears, '97 cooling upgrades, 2100 psi-pop injectors, 4" exhaust, ceramic coated exh manifolds/turbine housing/SS crossover pipe, Autometer: pyrometer, boost, oil temp, oil press, fuel press, & water temp gauges, remote oil filter, B&M plate-style oil cooler w/ braided SS oil lines

SmithvilleD, Where did you get your powermaster starter, is it made specifically for the 6.2/6,5 diesel, do you remember the part number? How much smaller is it than the 6.5 gear reduction starter, is it shorter in overall length? I am doing a 6.5L swap and need extra clearence between the starter end and the frame motor mount crossmember and don't care to notch the frame if I don't have to. Do you recall the price, Thanks for the info. Sorry to hijack your thread.
    Last edited by oilburnertoo; 04-01-2010 at 19:41. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by oilburnertoo View Post
    SmithvilleD, Where did you get your powermaster starter, is it made specifically for the 6.2/6,5 diesel, do you remember the part number? How much smaller is it than the 6.5 gear reduction starter, is it shorter in overall length? I am doing a 6.5L swap and need extra clearence between the starter end and the frame motor mount crossmember and don't care to notch the frame if I don't have to. Do you recall the price, Thanks for the info. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Here is some more info on the starter:
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/71...0002/-1?CT=999

http://www.powermastermotorsports.co...ty_starter.pdf