Thread: Just wanted to pick your brains a little

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Default Just wanted to pick your brains a little

Hello folks,

Been around awhile, have had several 6.2's, converted an 84 Burb to Diesel and am in the middle of converting an 85 K-5 to to a 6.2 from an 85 1 ton Burb. (I made it a one ton with axles)

I came across an SM420 with a Rockwell T-221 married to it. Very rare, only one year was that done. Both are in excellent shape and the price was right. However, it didn't come with a bellhousing.

The Turbo 400 that was in my Burb was working fine, but I had a buddy who needed one in a bad way about the same time we started to tear it apart. It just so happened that the 420 fell into my lap at about the same time. This rig (and the rig giving it's life for this swap) are for offroading and the only highway they see is to and from the trail. Which up here in Alaska sometimes the highway is just as challenging as the trail.

I'm having trouble coming up with a bellhousing. From what I understand, I can use a bellhousing from a SM465, but I need a spacer, which I have found. Too bad I cannot find a bellhousing that hasn't been through Hell.

Do any of you know a good source for a Diesel bellhousing?
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Go figure the neighborhood junkyard just found a bellhousing that might fit from a 67 Chevy. (it only took them a week to get back to me)

It'll fit the transmission, however I'm not sure if it will actually fit around the 6.2L flywheel. The flywheel I ordered should be here this afternoon and the bellhousing ready for pickup tomorrow.

Any thoughts are still appreciated.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!

The back of a 6.2/6.5 is the same as any SBC or BBC and the bell housing should work for your application.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by AKMark View Post
    Go figure the neighborhood junkyard just found a bellhousing that might fit from a 67 Chevy. (it only took them a week to get back to me)

It'll fit the transmission, however I'm not sure if it will actually fit around the 6.2L flywheel. The flywheel I ordered should be here this afternoon and the bellhousing ready for pickup tomorrow.

Any thoughts are still appreciated.
    The 67 bellhousing will work. In fact, the bellhousing is the only remaining factory piece of the drivetrain in my '67 C-30, since I've changed the engine, transmission and rearend. You will have to trim the factory starter mount off the bellhousing, or buy an aftermarket starter. I just cut of the starter housing and used a block mounted 88 - up gear reduction starter, and it works great.

To clarify the above post, I cut off enough of the bellhousing so the nose of the regular starter would clear in the area in the pic below.

Awesome guys.

The junkyard is pulling the bellhousing as we speak, I'll pick it up tomorrow with my 2wd steering box (for crossover steering).

Gonna reseal the valve covers while the motor is out and remove the belt driven vacuum pump. Gonna pull the injectors and test/clean them before reinstall as well.

Anybody need a belt drive vacuum pump?

No problem! Good luck with your project. These engines really seem stronger in front of a manual tranny.

Quote Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
    No problem! Good luck with your project. These engines really seem stronger in front of a manual tranny.

lol they all do, autos suck if yer lookin for power

Quote Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
    To clarify the above post, I cut off enough of the bellhousing so the nose of the regular starter would clear in the area in the pic below.

hey there 67-c30 hows it goin, what type of trans is that in the pic? is that a ranger between the tranny and the bell-housing?......
    1993 sierra 3500 drw, 6.5L DB2831 ground spring, 4000rpm, custom cold air intake, H1C, 3 inch magna flow stainless muffler, remote tranny & engine oil coolers with fans.

Quote Originally Posted by turbonator View Post
    hey there 67-c30 hows it goin, what type of trans is that in the pic? is that a ranger between the tranny and the bell-housing?......
    Hey, they let you come over here too? They must not know any better! That pic is not mine, I just used it to illustrate where I clearanced my bell housing. I think it a T-18 tranny though...