Thread: Numbers Check Please - Installing a 1982 6.2NA into 95 C1500

Default Numbers Check Please - Installing a 1982 6.2NA into 95 C1500

Here is what I currently have:

1995 2wd Extend Cab 6' bed 1500 truck with a 4.3L V6 and a NV3500 5sp manual. 160,000 Miles I think the rear axle is a 3.08 ratio.

The 4.3 is starting to get weak, and it is backfiring when I engine brake down hills. Blew up the muffler last week, probably just bad spark plug wires, but I am looking around to replace the motor. I called my Uncle who has about 6 of the Detroit Diesel 6.2 and 6.5 blocks at his house. He has been running these engines since they came out in 82. He said I could have an engine and everything I need to swap the engine short of the radiator for $100.

One particular engine he said is a 1982 6.2L naturally aspirated and he says it has the "big valve heads". (I asked him to take pictures of all of the casting numbers, I should have these in a few days) He will include the starter, exhaust manifolds, water pump, engine mounts, harmonic balancer, and the brackets for the AC and Alternator.

I plan to use a 1995 6.5L Turbo radiator from O'Reillys. (Father in law works there, so I get a discount)

I would like to order a flywheel (I want to keep the manual trans) for the engine as all of the available engines have flex-plates. I plan to order the 1982 6.2L flywheel for a 1/2 ton truck. (to match the 1982 6.2 engine)

I plan to keep my current NV3500 transmission. If it grenades, I will replace it with a NV4500 or possibly a 5600. I don't think this is an issue, as wiki says the NV3500 is rated for 300lb-ft of torque. Wiki also says the 6.2NA is rated at about 255lb-ft. So I plan to purchase a 12" clutch and pressure plate for a 1999 5.7L (gas) engine. 1999 manual trans gas V8's had a stronger NV3500 trans in them. The input shaft should still be a 1-1/8" 10 spline shaft.

The engine has a vacuum pump installed where a distributor would go on a gas motor, which I plan to use with my current brake booster. Do I need a vacuum canister?

I plan to use a push-button momentary switch on the dash to excite the glow plug relay. On cold days I plan to push the button, count to 8, release, and try to start the truck. I may install an ether kit and a block heater as well. (I live in Eastern IA, were it can be 0F for a week or so in the winter.)

I plan to remove the high pressure fuel pump and sending unit from the gas tank. I will replace this with some type of suction/pick up unit.

Any idea if I can keep my current guage cluster? I would really like to keep the tachometer. How will I hook this up?

I plan to run a 50 micron pre-filter with a water seperator. I plan to run a 6 micron final filter. (I can get a remote mount manifold through work.) I am not sure if I will use an electric lift pump or keep the mechanical pump.

How do I keep my cruise control?

Does this jive with what you guys think I can do? Just looking to keep my fuel economy (I get about 22mpg Hwy / 19mpg country roads now) Anything I am missing?

Don't know about flywheel compatibility.... All 6.2 & 6.5 engines from 1982 to 1999 now use the same flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. The latest version flywheel is a single-mass version, where the early ones were a dual-mass variety (which were later replaced with the single-mass for better reliability).

The diesel's vacuum pump doesn't move a lot of volume in vacuum, so I don't know if it'll be sufficient for the vacuum brake booster. It might be... and you might need an accumulator (a can that stores vacuum) to do a better job... Don't know for sure....

Yes, you can keep the gauge cluster. If your current tach gets the engine speed signal from the alternator, you may be fine. If it get's the signal from the distributor, not so much... If so, you'll have to come up with a signal conversion.

Your current cruise control module will work with the diesel - if you get the diesel cable - and the 1992-93 throttle bracket for the injection pump.

Jim

Jim, any idea if the diesel clutch plate is a 10 spline 1-1/8" shaft?

Don't know. Since the early 1990's, the 6.5 diesels used the NV4500 5-speed. So, whatever they have for an input shaft....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Don't know. Since the early 1990's, the 6.5 diesels used the NV4500 5-speed. So, whatever they have for an input shaft....

Jim
    Ok, it should be the same then. Thanks