Thread: Motorhome with 6.2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Motorhome with 6.2

Hi all,

I haven't posted much on this site yet, but have lurked around for a few years now. I initially join the site when I started working on my 1975 Toyota Landcruiser resto/mod project. Part of this project will be to put a 6.2 I got from an 89 Vandura. I never really got to test the engine but my plan was to rebuild the thing, so all I really needed was a starting point.

I just recently purchased a 84 GMC 24' Empress Class C motorhome with a 6.2 in front of a Th400 and Dana 70 dullie axle. It has about 92K original miles on it and the PO said he averaged about 12mpg (depending on condition and load). Drove it about 100 miles from where I purchased it to garage doing the ministry of transportation certification on it and it drove well (for its size).

I just had it safetied and all it needed was front upper control arms, brake cable and rear brake servicing. Once I get it back home I want to do the following to it:

1-have new tire installed.
    It currently runs 8.75R16.5 and I will change over to 16" wheels with 215/85R16. This will give me an inch of extra diameter on the tires giving a little rubber overdrive to get the RPMs down a bit. It will screw up my guages a bit but at the speeds I'll be going with this thing I am not really worried about going over the limit.

2-Change motor oil & filter
    3-Change tranny oil (synthetic) & filter
    4-Change diff oil to synthetic
    5-Change fuel filter
    6-Add tranny temp guage
    7-Add EGT guage ( probe will be in one of the collector pipes right after the manifold)
    Once the guage is added, I will load up the vehicle to it typical fully load state and go find myself a few hills to see what kind of numbers I get. If they are well below the 1100F max temp I have read about, I will open up the air intake and turn up the fuel screw 1/8 of a turn and see what happens. It already has a thru dual 2.25 (maybe 2.5) exhaust system. I think a little more power would help me keep my out of WOT and would improve my fuel economy just a little.

Does anyone see any flaw in my plans? Is there anything else you would do that I haven't listed (remembering that the RV runs fine right now)?

Sorry for the long post but now that I have a running 6.2, I hope to be here more often asking question and helping out if I can.
    Kevin C.

1975 Toyota Landcruiser - 6.5 center mount turbo, 4L80e & dual t-case
    2012 Subaru Legacy (wife's DD/family car)
    2009 VW Jetta sedan 2.0L TDI - For sale

2006 Dodge Durango 5.7L hemi (my winter DD and tow vehicle)

Hi
    If you want some more overdrive you can go to a 235/85 16 tire,so long as you have the clearance for them.I have them on my dually tow truck.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Hi Kevin:

Have found that keeping the RPMS up on these engines does no harm and it certainly makes life easier for it in the power department. Your problem with a class "C" is not weight but rather the aerodynamics. Have successfully pulled a combined weight of 10,000 lbs (5,000 lbs vehicle weight flat towing another 5,000 lb car) with no real problems. Equate that weight into a box with all the aerodynamics of a grand piano with the lid open and your rig will need everything just to maintain highway speeds.

A good test in our area is the gradual slope on 416, going south from the Queensway to Standherd. If you can maintain 100 klics on that hill then your probably all right, at least for around here. The Gatineau hills, the Laurentians or the Adirondacs may be another story.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

The little 6.2 diesel is definately no MOOSE Motor but it will get the job done.

With the miles that are showing on the clock, it should be in fairly good shape still.

The first thing that tends to go away on these engines is the injectors.

If the cold start is clean and crisp without missing and blue smoke, then things are probably in great order.

Sounds like you are on the right track with your new rig.

Keep us Posted

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED PICCY'S WEEEEEEEEEEEe NEEEEEEEEED PICCY's

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Bill,

The class C sure does have the aerodynamics of a brick . I will have to try the 416 run you mentioned to try it out. I did order my EGT & tranny guage last week. Got a couple of Auburn instrument guages. We need to get together one of these and talk diesel. I still want to work on that supercharger idea we talked about a little while ago for the Landcruiser.

Missy,

Takes about 3 cycles of the glow plugs for it to start. Not sure if that is good or not. No smoke at start up from what I've seen but I've only started it twice since I'v brought it to the shop for certification. Once it get back home I will get some picks.

Thanks for all the info.
    Kevin C.

Cool 6.2 pacearrow

firstly i live in the uk & i have a 1985 A class pacearrow ( it is the same as the 1 in photo section of this forum )
    I would like to ask a couple of questions about my good old 6.2

1 it has a small problem when its hot it takes forever to start but always starts eventually what should i do to improve this.
    2 this is not really a deisel question but thought i wouldask anyway my motorhome is fitted with 7.50x 16 12 ply tubeless tyres 7 i am having a problem finding them in the uk does anybody know of an alternative
    3 does anybody know how many motor batteries this motorhome should have it only has 1 at the moment.
    4 what do you think is the best g/box mine has a GM400 or is the R400 better
    look forward to your replys
    thanks for your help in advance

To atsengineering

"1 it has a small problem when its hot it takes forever to start but always starts eventually what should i do to improve this."

Sounds like your fuel inj. pump might be worn. Mine was doing that after it sat a 1/2 hour or so and the engine was too warm for the glow plugs to light. I ended up replacing my fuel inj. pump and the problem went away. You may want to try a manual switch on your glow plugs but be real careful you don't heat them too long and burn them out. I never got around to putting in a manual glow plug switch.

You should have two starting batteries. When I got my motorhome a class C, I was missing the battery under the cab. I also have two coach batteries.
    2015 VW Passat TDI SE, 6 speed manual
    Past Diesels
    1980 MB 240D, 4 speed manual
    1983 GMC Vandura 3500 Nu-Wa 23' Class C Motorhome
    6.2L Diesel, Turbo 400
    1985 MB 300D Turbodiesel, auto
    1992 Chevy C2500HD 6.5 Dieselturbo, auto
    1994 Chevy C2500HD 6.5 Dieselturbo, auto
    2010 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 6 speed manual, sunroof

hi we are located at mont tremblant quebec, if you want to talk diesel
    or need any hard parts give us a pm, we are 6.2-6.5 collectors...

does your 6.2l have a j-code intake on it? if it does not it is a good indication
    if the motor has been changed....

we have some crazy hills around here and we pull 12,000lbs with our 3500
    with the 6.2 4l80e tranny and it gets the job done....
    1993 sierra 3500 drw, 6.5L DB2831 ground spring, 4000rpm, custom cold air intake, H1C, 3 inch magna flow stainless muffler, remote tranny & engine oil coolers with fans.

turbonator,

Thank you for the offer. I might take you up on it when I start working on my Landcruiser project.

The vin number says it a J code, but haven't had a chance to take the air cleaner off to verify.
    Kevin C.

I have a 1983 23' class c with the 6.2. When I got mine it had 8.00RX16.5 and I changed over to 8.75RX16.5 Cooper tires. I had no trouble finding 16.5's. I usually run at 57 mph gps which is 55 speedo with the 8.75Rx16.5 tires. I did not have a gps when I had the smaller tires. I get 10 to 11 mpg I've never seen 12. She starts first glow plug cycle when cold. I just had new windows put in. I'll post a better when I can take one. That's her in the back with her little sister.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AVM62; 05-12-2010 at 13:23. Reason: To add picture
    2015 VW Passat TDI SE, 6 speed manual
    Past Diesels
    1980 MB 240D, 4 speed manual
    1983 GMC Vandura 3500 Nu-Wa 23' Class C Motorhome
    6.2L Diesel, Turbo 400
    1985 MB 300D Turbodiesel, auto
    1992 Chevy C2500HD 6.5 Dieselturbo, auto
    1994 Chevy C2500HD 6.5 Dieselturbo, auto
    2010 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 6 speed manual, sunroof

Finally got the motorhome back after 5 weeks at the garage. They had a hard time sourcing some of the brake cables. They also couldn't certify the propane system with the original on-board tank because of its age. So I got them to run a new line out to the back bumper and I will install a couple of 20# tanks on the rear bumper. Fabricating a new rear bumper and replacing missing main battery tie down + the above original list and she should be good to go camping in June (if the weather co operates ).

Now all I need to figure out is how to remove the inside engine cover...(help please)!

Here are some pics I took today.

Kevin C.

lift up the carpet inbetween the seats,. the dog house has two tabs with bolts into the floor,. (most van guys never reinstall them) and your two overcentre clips on either side up under the dash part,.

Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Red face Motorhome With 6.2 Diesel

nICE TO HEAR OF YOUR PLANS. I CURRENTLY OWN AN '83 ALLEGRO 23FOOT CLASS A RV WITH 6.2 GM DIESEL AND BANKS SIDEWINDER TURBO. MY BROTHER BOUGHT THIS IN '85 AND DROVE UNTIL I BOUGHT FROM HIM IN '98. 12MPG LOADED TOWING A JEEP OR SMALL SATURN. HAD ENGINE REBUILT FOR TURBO APPLICATION BY DIESEL DEPOT IN ATLANTA GEORGIA. GOOD PEOPLE THAT REALLY KNOWS THE 6.2. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR EFFORTS AS MUCH AS I HAVE MINE. phudgins25@suddenlink.net Amarillo, Texas

Bill,

I took a picture of where I think the HPCA should be but there's another sensor there. There a wire leaving the location and going thru the firewall too... (not sure it was getting too dark to track). Can you take a look at the pic and see if the sensor I'm pointing too could be the location for the HPCA.

Kevin C.

Yep. Thats where it used to be. Looks like the PO used that for the gauge. No wonder the thing is so hard to start. Are you sure the glow plugs are working? On the older system, this switch also disabled the glow plugs when the engine was warm (why I'm not sure).

Too bad because theres a corresponding port on the drivers head up front he could have used for the gauge. Perhaps the mercury tube wasn't long enough that came with the gauge (Princess auto strikes again ).

If you want, give me a call or PM me and I'll help you wire in the correct switch and convert the glows to the new system. Want to see this thing anyways.

Billl
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Kevin:

Check your PM box

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Default update

Thanks to help of Bill (convert2diesel) and Gord, the motorhome runs great now.

Had to redo all of the electrical in the house battery compartment. PO had a scary setup in there (wish I would of taken some pictures). Also found out that one of the batteries in this area was my second starting battery. The old battery was dead, so I replaced that with an identical battery to the one under the hood, and now it turns over easily.

So before I do my first shake down run with it in a few weeks, all I have left to do is replace the tranny cooler lines (good fine by Gord), finish fabing up the bumper and the seat frame for my daughter's car seat.

Before we do our 2 big trips in July and August, I want to replace the glow plugs (got 8 60G sitting in the garage), the thermostat and coolant, open up the air intake and turn up the fuel screw. With that done, I can call it done for this year and maybe start working on the Land Crusier again.

I'll take some pics of the fianl product when I get a chance.
    Kevin C.