Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorhome with 6.2

Yep. Thats where it used to be. Looks like the PO used that for the gauge. No wonder the thing is so hard to start. Are you sure the glow plugs are working? On the older system, this switch also disabled the glow plugs when the engine was warm (why I'm not sure).

Too bad because theres a corresponding port on the drivers head up front he could have used for the gauge. Perhaps the mercury tube wasn't long enough that came with the gauge (Princess auto strikes again ).

If you want, give me a call or PM me and I'll help you wire in the correct switch and convert the glows to the new system. Want to see this thing anyways.

Billl
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Kevin:

Check your PM box

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Default update

Thanks to help of Bill (convert2diesel) and Gord, the motorhome runs great now.

Had to redo all of the electrical in the house battery compartment. PO had a scary setup in there (wish I would of taken some pictures). Also found out that one of the batteries in this area was my second starting battery. The old battery was dead, so I replaced that with an identical battery to the one under the hood, and now it turns over easily.

So before I do my first shake down run with it in a few weeks, all I have left to do is replace the tranny cooler lines (good fine by Gord), finish fabing up the bumper and the seat frame for my daughter's car seat.

Before we do our 2 big trips in July and August, I want to replace the glow plugs (got 8 60G sitting in the garage), the thermostat and coolant, open up the air intake and turn up the fuel screw. With that done, I can call it done for this year and maybe start working on the Land Crusier again.

I'll take some pics of the fianl product when I get a chance.
    Kevin C.

1975 Toyota Landcruiser - 6.5 center mount turbo, 4L80e & dual t-case
    2012 Subaru Legacy (wife's DD/family car)
    2009 VW Jetta sedan 2.0L TDI - For sale

2006 Dodge Durango 5.7L hemi (my winter DD and tow vehicle)

Default Last update

So the camper is done for the year. Replaced 7 out of 8 glow plugs. The last was mushroomed a little so I did not tempt to remove it (something I'll do in the fall). Replaced the thermostat and coolant and now and the temp is nice and stable at 190. The rear bumper is complete, the guages are installed and my daughters seat is installed (see pics below).

Got my Aubur EGT & tranny guages installed.

Got my daughters seat installed between the two main seats. Some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 tube and a scrap yard seat, I've got a nice uas system seat I can attached my daughters car seat too.

Went for our first long distance trip last week and all I can say is that I was happy overall. Most of the time I could cruise between 56 & 59mph on flat ground but hills where murder, even went down to 35mph on a few hills. Had to deal with a lot of head winds but still managed to get 12mpg (US).

So I'm liking the 6.2 and can't wait to get the one for the Land cruiser built and finished.
    Kevin C.

Cool 6.2 pacearrow

firstly i live in the uk & i have a 1985 A class pacearrow ( it is the same as the 1 in photo section of this forum )
    I would like to ask a couple of questions about my good old 6.2

1 it has a small problem when its hot it takes forever to start but always starts eventually what should i do to improve this.
    2 this is not really a deisel question but thought i wouldask anyway my motorhome is fitted with 7.50x 16 12 ply tubeless tyres 7 i am having a problem finding them in the uk does anybody know of an alternative
    3 does anybody know how many motor batteries this motorhome should have it only has 1 at the moment.
    4 what do you think is the best g/box mine has a GM400 or is the R400 better
    look forward to your replys
    thanks for your help in advance

To atsengineering

"1 it has a small problem when its hot it takes forever to start but always starts eventually what should i do to improve this."

Sounds like your fuel inj. pump might be worn. Mine was doing that after it sat a 1/2 hour or so and the engine was too warm for the glow plugs to light. I ended up replacing my fuel inj. pump and the problem went away. You may want to try a manual switch on your glow plugs but be real careful you don't heat them too long and burn them out. I never got around to putting in a manual glow plug switch.

You should have two starting batteries. When I got my motorhome a class C, I was missing the battery under the cab. I also have two coach batteries.
    2015 VW Passat TDI SE, 6 speed manual
    Past Diesels
    1980 MB 240D, 4 speed manual
    1983 GMC Vandura 3500 Nu-Wa 23' Class C Motorhome
    6.2L Diesel, Turbo 400
    1985 MB 300D Turbodiesel, auto
    1992 Chevy C2500HD 6.5 Dieselturbo, auto
    1994 Chevy C2500HD 6.5 Dieselturbo, auto
    2010 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 6 speed manual, sunroof

As AVM62 said, you need 2 starting batteris for sure to start the 6.2 (make sure they are identical batteries and the same age). You will probaly want at least one deepcycle house battery with someway of isolating the house battery from the starting batteries (don't want to drain your house batteries acciddentaly).

The GM TH400 transmission is a good fit for this year of 6.2. This is what I have in my 84 Class C motorhome. I wish I could modify the gearing a little to give myself a little more driveability, but the cost of this is prohibitive at this time.
    Kevin C.

Default Help how many batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by AVM62 View Post
    Check to see if you have both starting batteries, when I got mine the one under the cab was missing. I only had one house battery so I added a 2nd one.
    How many batteries are supposed to be under the hood? It has one battery under it but has two sets of cables. What size batteries should be under there? It's like there isn't enough room for two batteries. The battery runs at half percentage and slowly drains. We have changed the altanator.

Quote Originally Posted by AVM62 View Post
    To atsengineering

"1 it has a small problem when its hot it takes forever to start but always starts eventually what should i do to improve this."

Sounds like your fuel inj. pump might be worn.
    Next time it happens, pour cold water over the distributor end of the injection pump. If it helps, the pump is worn.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510