Thread: 2011 Hd

Default 2011 Hd

On the newer version of the D-Max has the fuel system been changed? Is it the same style fuel filter? has a boost pump been added? Just curious using B-20 if anything was changed.

Hi,

As nice and long-needed as many of the changes are, the $3-5000 price increase is stunning......

Are we approaching the point where exotic technology is pricing the diesel out of range of even us die-hard enthusiasts?

FWIW.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Quote Originally Posted by richp View Post
    Hi,

As nice and long-needed as many of the changes are, the $3-5000 price increase is stunning......

Are we approaching the point where exotic technology is pricing the diesel out of range of even us die-hard enthusiasts?

FWIW.
    Maybe... but, I have heard that GM is offering a $3k-5k rebate on their Sierra/Silverado lineup.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Those things are hard to gauge. We've all seen it where a store marks up its prices and then holds a big "sale".

If what you cite turns out to be the case, GM might just be doing what it would have done anyway, in order to keep sales volume up. My last truck purchase included a substantial rebate in that range, plus some other incentives. I grant you I bought it at a time when GM was really working hard to get sales. But those incentive plans come and go, as we all know.

Bottom line, with the market the way it is, adding ten percent or so to the base price looks to me like a good way to get people to dig out their calculators and re-visit the whole concept of diesel versus gas.

Don't take this as a criticism of GM or their products. My first GM diesel was an old 6.2 K-Blazer, and I've owned one continuously for pushing 30 years. I keep coming back despite some of the stupid things they've done with their designs, because I continue to believe this is the best truck I can get for what I do. But for ordinary folks, at some point reality sets in budget-wise -- particularly with the way the comparative graphs of fuel prices versus fuel economy work these days.

Have a good one, and keep up the good work.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Rich, I pretty much agree with everything you've said. I believe there is still significant value to be found in the used market, hence the recent subscriber article I put together entitled "What's The Best Year Duramax?".

I think the entire auto industry is doing all it can to keep prices reasonable, given the costs of labor, taxes, regulations and the EPA. I heard recently that Ford was moving its new Scorpian diesel engine production to Mexico. Doesn't bode well...

Jim

Hi Jim,

I did the deal on my new 2009 because it was an orphan from a defunct dealer, GM had good incentives on, there was an eager prospect for my old truck, and I wasn't liking what I was reading about urea injection (even before I knew about the stunning base price increase). So all the stars were properly aligned. While I don't care for some of the new design, I bought it for the drivetrain, which is simply outstanding, and the overall new-truck reliability I need for the long trips we make.

But you're on to something -- I'm probably driving my last new diesel right now. The dramatically rising cost curve surely is attributable to the factors you cite. But GM ought to consider that I might not be the only one in this position -- not just now in a sagging economy, but for the foreseeable future as well. Every new complexity and cost increase incrementally weeds out more and more folks. A serious corporate cost-control initiative is going to be needed to save the light diesel truck market, in my view.

Ironically, it's the improvement in gas truck fuel efficiency and relative prices of diesel and gas that may be the final nails in the coffin. Frankly, I might even have gone gas this time (gasp) but I'm just too much in love with my Allison.

FWIW.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71

Quote Originally Posted by richp View Post
    Hi,

FWIW.
    Maybe this was a step back in technology. Wasn't the shelved 4.5 engine capable of meeting current emission standards without urea or regen?