Thread: Duramax Tahoe

Default Duramax Tahoe

I am going to start a new project in the next few months and I want to know what yall think. I see a lot of conversions but this one will be a little bit different. I have a 1999 2 door tahoe, tons of miles (needs lots of mechanical work). I want to buy a regular cab 2500HD with Duramax, shorten the frame and install the tahoe body onto it. Has anyone completed this type of conversion? The reason for the body switch is that I want the 3/4 ton running gear. I plan to paint it OD green as a type of modern homage to the old M1009 Blazers the military used. I will also be using some LSSV parts that I have gathered over the years. Let me hear what you think. Is this stupid? Am I crazy (probably)? Is it doable? Thanks for any input.

Also, my daily driver is a 2007 Classic 2500HD CCSB so I am not new to the Duramax.
    Last edited by pacebm; 05-14-2010 at 18:01.

Thumbs up

Welcome to the board!

Sure, anything is possible. I've not heard about a conversion like you're proposing, but I'm sure it can be done. Off the top of my head, the closest I've heard about was a conversion that involved moving the sheet metal from a 1951 GMC pickup to a 1969 4x4 chassis. Worked great. New body mount brackets needed to be made and welded on.

The 2001-2007 frames are produced in sections, then welded together. I imagine it would work well to separate the frame at one of its original joining areas, then shorten that section.

Keep us posted.

Jim