Thread: weird knock

catmandoo Guest

last week we had some -10f days and i was about 80 miles down the road and a d-a#* pulls out in front of me so i just press down a little harder on the pedal and fly by him,wel about the time i get pulled back over i notice that the pedal goes down but i start losing speed,(darn gellin)so as i slow down and get to town i pull into the gas station,and pull up to the pump,hping it will stay running,but not.so i pump 1/2 gallon of unleaded into it(had maybe 22 gals of diesel in the tank),let set and tried it and it fired up and died so i go pull the filter and nothing but nice diesel,so i put it back on and go inside for about 5 minutes and come back out and try it and after about 5 seconds of crnking it fires up,then i get the high rpm's from the usual filter chance,so think just air well it slows down and is missing on probably 4 cyls,then 3,then 2 then firing on all 8,but ever since then i have had a knock to it,it's not a deep knock like a rod or main,and whats weird is you can only here it inside,if you stand outside with the hood up and listen it sounds normal.it sounds kinda light ,i'm thinking maybe i bent a pushrod,or maybe and inj is taking a dump,they do have 160,000 on em,and i tested one about 6 months ago and it was at 1600psi.otherwise i'm at a lose as to what it is.it runs alright down the road no rough idle or anything out of the ordinary.

eracers999 Guest

Did you look at the crank pully??

Kent

catmandoo Guest

didn't have time to check,when i got back to town i still had to drive to denver,i was thinking that same thing today cruising down the road,gonna go look right now.

catmandoo Guest

checked pulley and it is perfect.

patrick m. Guest

possible you leaned on the heater pipe, and bent it onto an injector pipe?
    that type of contact will give you a knocking sound inside the cab.

catmandoo Guest

wasn't near it.i'm gonna be changing inj's maybe tomorrow and i'm gonna pull the valvecovers and see whats up under there.