Thread: New 6.5 going in 94' GMC, what mods...?

Question

I am having my 6.5 rebuilt, unfortunatly i can only afford a stock rebuild. But I am going to make a few additions. The truck already has 3" all the way back with a 18" glasspack and 4.5" Chromy. I am adding a Heath chip, Heath Turbo-Master, and a aFe cold air performance intake. Is there anything else , were talking cheap here, that can be done?

What should the boost be set to?
    Is the TDC the injector pump setting?
    Can I do that and will it help?

I am relativly new to this. My engine ran for 201,000 miles without a major problem so I never felt the need to help it out. Now that the motor is out I want to get the most I can out of it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bbubus
    94' GMC K2500HD, Heath chip, -1.94, Turbo-Master, AFE Cold Air Intake, Bosch High Flow Injectors, 3" Exhaust all the way back, 4.5" chrome tip(exhaust sounds sweet), Heath Turbo Down Pipe, Heath Crossover, IssPro gauges, Three Pod Piller, 98' Cooling Mods, DMax Fan, High output water pump, DSG Oil Cooler, Heath PMD kit, Light kit with high output bulbs(very bright...finally)

damork Guest

At a minimum the timing gears in place of a chain. While you are inside it is the best time to do it.

I would also add the HO cooling system (pump, dual thermostats). If you want to hold costs down you could do that later.

[ 04-29-2005, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: damork ]

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Thumbs up

Howdy
    Have them REALLY check out your block. Maybe add splayed main caps or at least a stud girdle. While the motor is out is a GREAT time to really clean/check the radiator. Depnding how bad your motor died(wore out or grenaded) you should also replace the oil cooler or at least flush it real good. Replace the damper. Add a bung on the pan for future use for a oil temp gauge. Dual oil filters. Check and clean all grounding straps. Check the transmission wirring harness that goes over the top of the trans, BE CAREFULL with it as they get brittle with age. Replace battery cables. fix leaking oil cooler lines. Put in NEW motor mounts. ditch the glasspack and go with a straight pipe!
    Most of this stuff can be done for little or no cash just time. Hope things work out good for you!
    L8r
    Conley
    USMC87-93