Thread: Ignition switch ?

On my 95 suburban I started to see a problem a while back, The radio and wipers would not shut off with the ignition key. After a few weeks of this, everything went back to normal. This lasted for a month or two and then it went back to the radio and wipers not shutting off again. I figured that the ignition switch was the problem and since this seems to be a problem area I decided to change it. Yesterday I replaced the ignition switch and still have the same problem, Radio and wipers do not shut off with the ignition key. Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here?

Thanks
    N9Phil
    1995 Chev 4X4 1500 Suburban 6.5 TD,Phazer Gear Kit from JK, High Capacity Water Pump Kit from JK. Special Calibration fan clutch W/8 blade fan from JK
    1995 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 6.5 TD>>SOL-D (parts car)
    1999 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 454 "Gas Hog" with Hiniker C-Plow

I found the problem [img]smile.gif[/img]

It seems that the wire diagram in the service manual is incorrect or some one has wired the radio and wipers through the power window lock out switch. When the window lock out switch is in lock position, the radio and wipers turn off with the ignition switch key.

N9Phil
    1995 Chev 4X4 1500 Suburban 6.5 TD,Phazer Gear Kit from JK, High Capacity Water Pump Kit from JK. Special Calibration fan clutch W/8 blade fan from JK

diesel65 Guest

Talk about having a Gremlin....

JohnC Guest

Problems like that are often caused by a bad ground somewhere that allows one seemingly unrelated circuit to power another one when it should be off.

tom.mcinerney Guest

John is 'on the money'.
    Have you resoldered the wiper PCB connections yet? Only mention it because your wipers involved, and the wiper boards have a problem . In view of John's suggestion, I'll bet if you renew the (main engine)harness ground(s) at the auto trans-fill-tube vicinity [rear psgr head] , that will do it!

I haven't done anything with the wiper pcb because they have never caused a problem. I agree with John's comment that grounding can cause weird problems.

I do have a door lock problem that is probably ground related. The drivers door always unlocks the first time but the other doors will work fine for a month or so and then they take several tries before they open. Today however, I couldn't get the other doors to unlock with either the remote or the door lock switches.

I redid the ground, the (main engine)harness ground(s) at the auto trans-fill-tube vicinity [rear psgr head],and it didn't change anything.

N9Phil