Thread: Getting desperate stalling and P0004

Default Getting desperate stalling and P0004

I have searched high and low and can't seem to find any information on error code P0004 for my 1996 K2500 6.5 TD problem. Honestly, I am not 100% certain the P0004 is the issue, but that is one of two codes set when it stalls. Unlike the PMD threads I have read, it does not restart easilly. This has only happened a couple times, once over the past weekend and once just now. The P0004 error code is "fuel volume controler circuit high" There is also a P0711 set which is the "trans fluid temp sensor circuit range performance" but I don't think that is the main issue. So, it seems that both times this has happened, it follows me pressing the turbo boost a little harder (using the "boost fooler" I made) but watching the boost level carefully, it has never exceeded about 8 psig on the guage, so I don't understand how that would cause issue. I have never calibrated teh gauge and take its readings at face value. Any guidance on solving these issues is greatly appreciated as I need to fix this before a planned trip.
    Thanks!

Neo
    1996 K2500 Burb, 6.5 TD, M/T 17" rims and Nitto tires, aFe Cold air intake and Stage 7 filter, Banks exhaust, 2.5" x-over, and 3" downpipe. LOADS of plans!
    A Hummaneer - Military Take-Out HMMWV 6.2 rebuilt with loads of goodies, balanced, bp, timing gears, custom 4130 girdle, ARP's top and bottom, high flow water pump, .030 Mahle pistons, etc. in a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - hence: Hummaneer.

I forgot to mention, I relocated the pmd in the pass side hole in the bumper so the hear sink fins are what is visible, with the pmd behind it. Is this okay? Thanks!
    1996 K2500 Burb, 6.5 TD, M/T 17" rims and Nitto tires, aFe Cold air intake and Stage 7 filter, Banks exhaust, 2.5" x-over, and 3" downpipe. LOADS of plans!
    A Hummaneer - Military Take-Out HMMWV 6.2 rebuilt with loads of goodies, balanced, bp, timing gears, custom 4130 girdle, ARP's top and bottom, high flow water pump, .030 Mahle pistons, etc. in a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - hence: Hummaneer.

Sorry to keep bumping this, but now I am getting really desparate. The truck is still in front of my work and they are threatening to tow it off "for" me. Nice.
    I am begining to think the PMD is DOA. Weird though cause the previous owner replaced it this past winter, so about 7/8 months back and probably about 6k miles. It is located in the hole in the pass side front bumper with a SS Diesel Heat sink and relocation kit. I pulled it out of the engine bay where it was on the D/S side fender about two weeks back. The PCM is giving me two codes: 711 (trans) and 004 (pressure reg) I think the second code (004) is bogus cause no one seems to recognize it.

Here is the weird part: My AutoXRay will assess the codes, claim it clears them and then when I check them again, there they are again. It is like they never really clear, or reset immediately? Weird.

These are the only code. Engine will crank, just no fire. I hear and feel a movement in the fuel shut-off solenoid. I have yet to crack lines to see if it is seeing fuel, but i suspect not.

Just ordered a new PMD for safety sake. Figure if this is not the issue, will be good to ahve a back-up. Anyone with any suggestions?

Well, if the pcm is reporting a bogus code, it could be having problems...

If you can get it read by a more sophisticated reader, you might find something different, though. Just a thought.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Default thanks! got it running - for now!

Thanks John. I actually got it running this evening. I looked at the code a little closer. The two codes (711 and 0004) are both "pending" codes, what ever that means. I am not buying the validity of either one.
    The weird thing is the AutoXray would not reset the MIL, which apparenly is not dependent on "pending" codes as those never cleared (my original concern is since they would not clear and the MIL would nto clear, they were related.)
    I pulled boht battery cables off this afternoon and let her sit for a little bit. Hooked the cables back up and voila, it started and ran. Drove it home fine. When I got home I check the MIL status and it was off.
    My gut is the PMD is going, even though it is recently purchased (february 2010 from SS Diesel) and has a relocation kit.
    Where is the best place to locate it? Is the bumper hole bad? Seemed to me at the time it woud get reasonably good air flow there.
    I purchased a new PMD and it should be here Monday. HOpefully, this will eliminate the issues, but I want to mount it in the best location. I am seriously thinking about using my DB2 (new rebuilt to 4911 by local stanadyne shop) pulling a non-wired throttle assembly and cable and going with that to eliminate this darn PMD issue. I really don't like it.
    Thank you again!
    Neo

The frt bumper is a great place to mount the pmd.
    With the kit you have the instructions say to mount the IP ground to the heatsink,not a good idea.The ground on the IP belongs on the IP.Check to see where the PO has the ground wire,or if you moved it to the frt bumper with the heatsink I suggest putting it back on the IP.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

10-4. I think it is on the intake. I remember seeing a ground wire lug stuffed under one of the intake mani bolts. i'll check it again.
    Is it possible my extension cables to the PMD are too close to the alternator and there is some interference induced by the EMF coming off the alternator? I recall the cable running across the top of the alternator and thinking to myself that it might need sheilding? Thank you all for the help.
    One other thing I felt it do last evening is when it was running, it kidn of shuttered. Not really a miss, more like a very short duration quick blip of the trottle. It has done that a couple times, very very breif change in idle speed, but seems to increase (again, less than a 1/2 second) upwards. Almost impercievable, but I noticed it doing this a time before and did not think much of it at the time. However, after a second time, last evening, it caught my ear/brain a little more this time. Thanks again!
    Neo

Hi
    What make is the FSD/PMD that you have?
    I have a Dtech that was giving me wierd throttle responce and bucking,it was new in Jan,and does not have many miles,mine was a bit hinky right from the get go,now that i look back to when i got it.I was having FSD problems ang got the relocating wire and new Dtech seemed to sovle the problem at the time.About a week after i lost a head gasket,switched in a complete engin,thats when i noticed a bit of wierd throttle behavior which i assumed was from the replacement engin,then the optical encoder went south,changed thar and still had the wierd throttle responce.Finally was getting unreliable again so i tried a good known stanadyne FSD/PMD and the truck is running great and acting normal.
    So never assume that a new part isn't still part of the problem
    I will try another Dtech,they seem to last other than mine,but thats the kind of luck that follows me around
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Thanks Yukon6.2, mine is supposedly the same, a Dtech. I breifly looked at it when I relocated it. Sure hope I don't follow the same path with the head gasket issues!
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder about EMI interfering with the signals between the IP and the PMD. I am very suspicious cause this all started (or seemed to) when I relocated it to the front pass bumper hole. I have checked the temps on the unit with my hand and never (since relocating it) felt it hot, however that is recently, since I have been having issue with it. Should it be hot to the touch if operating normally?
    I intend on rerouting the wires this evening to move them far from the alternator. Also bunding them better. I have seen EMI do some really weird stuff in the motion control systems I use at work.
    I also wonder, given your experinece, if there were not some bad Dtech units sold in the early part of the year as mine was repalced in February by the PO. Going to look into that too. Seems like they have a reasonable warranty.

Thanks again!

Neo

Default Last post: pretty certain it is pmd

I refitted the wires yesterday evening, the drove it with my tools to work on our duplex. On the way, just short of my destination, it died like someone turned the ignition switch off. BAM. DOA. Just like that cussing, I carried my tools to the work and fixed the tennants issue. Came back and it started right up. No codes. Nothing. Made it home. I noticed it surging a little at idle kinda weird. It died again, then started right up.
    I looked in the po's records and he replaced it in December 09. Can't have 10k on this PMD (Pretty Much Dead). It is supposed to be the hd version. I don't get it. Is it possible the pump is pulling too much current from the pmd causing such short lifespan? The pump is prolly six to eight years old.
    I want to replace it with a db2 and still use the drive by wire crap so my tranny will work. I amstarting to hate the ds4.
    New pmd arrives on Tuesday. Spare in a week. Thanks to everyone For the help.
    I remain convinced the p0004 is a bogus code and does not mean diddly.
    Neo