Thread: Tranny Filter Magnet-flow restriction

Question Tranny Filter Magnet-flow restriction

Bought a new magnet; added to filter....observed that the outside diameter of the magnet significantly covered the many holes of the filter. Seems like the flow will be restricted. Has anyone observed the same? Should there be a spacer between the magnet and the base of the filter? This would seem to "open up' the flow passages.
    2004 2500HD LT Duramax LLY+Allison 2WD Extended Cab SB
    Cooper LTX265/75R16 tires

Email vernj4@juno.com

Is the filter base plate flat or curved? I can't speak for all Allison filters in the aftermarket, but I know most are curved.

We stock the genuine Allison filters though. Priced right, and top quality. Not that there is anything wrong with the Baldwins that we used to sell, it's just easier than arguing and explaining although I believe Baldwin moved their holes to a larger circle as well.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

I've seen this on early Wix filters (about 3-4 years ago), and have used a couple over the years. At first, the appearance does make one take a second look. As John said, the hole surface is (was) curved, and the space between the magnet and surface is more than sufficient to allow full flow of fluid through the holes around the magnet. We've had this discussion before, IIRC, and the consensus was a "non-issue". In my case and those I'm familiar with, there were no issues with the Allison due to use of this filter.

If you are uncomfortable with this, at all, use a genuine Allison filter.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Use ALLISON filters and it won't be an issue. I know that the ones you get from AUTOZONE were said to have problems with the magnet blocking the flow through them. Use genuine ALLISON filters and it isn't an issue, and they aren't that expensive from an ALLISON dealer.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Bought at a Freightliner shop....they reportedly overhaul/service Allison transmissiions. Don't believe the filter is an off-brand.
    2004 2500HD LT Duramax LLY+Allison 2WD Extended Cab SB
    Cooper LTX265/75R16 tires

Email vernj4@juno.com

Is it red or blue? I know that there were some blue ones out that looked just like the ALLISON filters but had the problem with the magnet blocking the filter ports.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.