Thread: rear axle seal

Unhappy rear axle seal

i have an 06 gmc cc da with 93k on it. about 3k ago the drivers side rear axle or wheel seal started leaking. i've replaced it 4 times now. the first time i think i screwed up the seal installing it. the 2nd time 3rd time and 4th time it hasnt leaked for about 4 days or 500 miles the starts again. the last time i replaced the inner bearing as well and siliconed around the seal in the hub with the same results. i also made sure the vent for the rear diff. wasnt clogged. 500 miles later leaking again. the only thing i can think of is the 6000 pound trailer i'm towing has no brakes and my rear rotors are getting really hot, new trailer will be here in 4 weeks. could the heat be killing the seal? i'm ready to light the truck on fire or sell it at this point.
    #1 01 dmax xcab 251000 miles and climbing
    #2 06 dmax crew cab 66000 miles 2009 polaris dragon 800sp 89 suzuki 500 quadracer

Maybe, but it sounds more like maybe a bad surface area on the axle.
    Did you lube the lip of the seal ?
    Some seals come with lube on the inner lip but I like to put some lube on the surface area that contacts it also. Another thought, how high is the level of your gear lube in the rear?

My reply in this thread will likely address the problem you are having with the recurring leak.
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=31741
    2004 LLY SC LB
    ATS exhaust - BD LH Manifold
    Kennedy Diesel Mega Filter & Lift Pump

Excellent posts cowboywildbill & WhiteTruck. Thanks for letting us know.

Jim

both excellent posts is right, however neither one cures my problem. after reading about the part of the seal sticking to the axle i thought for sure that was it. pulled it apart again today and nope nothing stuck to the axle. fluid level is ok. i put in 3 quarts after a drain. we'll see how long this seal lasts.
    #1 01 dmax xcab 251000 miles and climbing
    #2 06 dmax crew cab 66000 miles 2009 polaris dragon 800sp 89 suzuki 500 quadracer