Thread: Predator vs Warranty

Default Predator vs Warranty

I picked up a used Predator tuner the other day. My factory 5 year warranty is up in a couple of weeks. Can I use the Predator to monitor things until then without triggering some sort of inquisition if I have to take it in for something?

Probably already know the answer to this one, but can I safely try any of the performance tunes before the warranty expiration?

TIA-
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

System monitoring is passive, so no problem there. Checking/clearing codes is SOP, so no problem with that either. Although dealerships "say" they can tell if a program is installed on any year model by looking at PCM data, they can't. A good tech can tell by looking at other indicators if one has been used. Later models (2007.5 and later) have data tags in the programming that can tattle, but in most cases, only indicates a program change, and not specifically what was installed. 2003-2007 models are somewhere in between, and it may depend on what calibration update is installed. Most of it is speculation at this point with earlier models, but my source (Master GM Tech) confirms most of it, and has no reason to keep info from me. Ultimately, they check the tags in the programming and "determine" that anything out of sync means a programmer was used.

In other words:
    -No problem reading data.
    -No problem reading/clearing DTC's
    -Install a program - The worst that will happen is your warranty may be a couple weeks shorter. The risk is the same, whether you do it early or late. I would wait, if it's only a couple weeks, just in case your radio knobs fall off.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The LMM/LML are the ones I think GM can verify whether the truck has been running modified programming. If in doubt, ask your dealer service manager if they can perform an “Engine Calibration Snapshot” on your LBZ ECM. If they can, they may be able to see it....

I heard recently from an LMM owner who bought a used truck with relatively low mileage. A small problem developed, so he visited the dealer for warranty service. The owner told me that the dealer performed an “Engine Calibration Snapshot”, and determined that the truck had been running modified programming or calibration, and then voided his warranty - even though he had never run anything in this truck - it's the way he bought it.

Jim

It's moot. Diablo needs to do some updating to support whatever calibration I am currently running. My warranty expires in 2 weeks, coincidentally the time the say it takes for the update...

When I went in for head gaskets the first thing they did was something like that, Calibration Snapshot. The had to send something from the Tech II to GM before GM would OK the work on warranty. [soapbox]This was before the takeover, too. Interesting, the government that is supposed to be for the little guy is screwing the little guy out of warranty coverage.[/soapbox]
    Last edited by JohnC; 09-15-2010 at 07:30.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

there is a TSB issued by GM that instructs dealerships on how to tell if the "flash" of the computer has been modified. it works in the same manner as the "flash" on the BIOS chip on the computers that you all are using to read this forum. Having built lots of PCs for people, I have had to update the BIOS for new peripherals, errors in the original code, to support new processors, etc, in the same way that the ECM/TCM etc (ie: any processor that has updateable programming is done).

the bottom line is that whether it is a PC on your desk or a laptop, or the chip in the truck, date/timestamp/code version/ etc is stored along with the code.

it is these date timestamps that the techs are using their Tech2's to read and send a picture to GM. The TSB states that they have to take the picture with a digital camera while the Tech2 is connected to the truck

I have advised people buying used late model diesels to always take the trucks to a dealer, or if buying off a lot, to have the dealer hook up and verify the flash as part of the deal. If a person is willing to spend the money buying from a private party, then if you have to pay to have a verification done, it is a small investment, considering the cash outlay if a truck has had a tuner on it and problem develops and warranty coverage is denied.

by the way, if you have a computer that does not have the start up procedure hidden by a "splash screen", ie: showing the mfg'er name etc, it will be that string of numbers, characters dates, etc that show across the bottom of the screen that is the BIOS date/timestamp/identification string